Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

How do they always seem to know??

Mantha Meow

Savannah Super Cat
I have always been amazed at how animals can be used for seizure alert animals, diabetic assistant animals, how they can sense things like earthquakes and tornadoes. Last night I think my kitties were telling me they know that something is up.

This weekend I am moving in with my brother (short term) and I can't take my kitties :( Luckily Shane's house is complete enough that they are moving in there. They will be kept in only one room and have a twin sized bed, the cabinet they like to sleep in, a new bigger cat tree, and 4 windows to watch birds from. (it has a nice bay window) They are going to be living at the house with no one living there with them. This has me very stressed out. We have a lock on the door so that none of the last few workers can go in without calling one of us first to find the key. I will be over there ALL the time to play with them and feed them of course. I still do not like the fact that they are used to sleeping with me every night and will not have that for a few weeks to a month. :(

All that was just back story for last night. Kinsler, who cuddles up with me like a teddy bear every night, got all comfy with me and passed out. I do not think he or I moved all night long. Normally I fall asleep with him and wake up with him in his cabinet. Charlotte has just recently started using a bed I bought months ago. It sets right next to my pillow since I have a queen size bed and it's just me. She also slept all night in her bed.

Do you think they know that something is up? Also any ideas on how to make their move the least stressful? They have never lived in any home other than my current and not only are they moving but I won't be moving with them.. I will be going by every morning before class and I get off work at 2:30 or 3:15 and will go by immediately after that, but its just not the same.. I have never moved with an animal and am a little panicked on what to do.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Does the new house have water, electricity, a functioning bathroom? If so, maybe you can stay there the first night.

Sounds like you've thought through the situation and are making sure they have their familiar stuff around them. Only thing I can think of is to put a radio in their room so they have the sounds of human voices, particularly at night if you're not there.

Make sure there's a "Cats inside, do not open" sign on the door so the workmen don't let them out. Just telling them not to open the cat room door is not enough, trust me, they'll need a big sign if you can't lock the cat room door.

Mantha Meow

Savannah Super Cat
The house has electricity but not a functioning bathroom yet. We are just lacking the plumber finishing up his stuff, light fixtures installed, countertops, and carpet. We are so so close to done. I am probably going to stay the first night regardless. I just won't drink anything late! lol

I was wondering about the radio thing. I will definitely add that to my list of things to go with them. The door will be locked but I want a sign up as well. My honey is being so great about all of this. He told me that if the workers need in that room and neither one of us can get there then they can just come back because the cats safety and happiness is of utmost importance. He is going to try to get everything done ASAP so at least he can move in and be with them.

Mantha Meow

Savannah Super Cat
@Rafiki Anywhere from 6-8 hours a day right now.. The hardest part is the fact that they cuddle at night and I'm worried it will make them not cuddle once we are all together again.. I'll probably try to spend a few nights a week there. Hopefully we get plumbing there soon!!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I like the idea of having a sign on the door as well as a heavy duty lock - people can be idiots at times so better to be overly cautious rather than overly trusting. I think the more time you can spend with them the better off they will be. I can understand not wanting to spend the night when there is no working toilet, but hopefully that will be fixed soon and they won't have to be there by themselves for too long.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
The house has electricity but not a functioning bathroom yet. We are just lacking the plumber finishing up his stuff, light fixtures installed, countertops, and carpet. We are so so close to done. I am probably going to stay the first night regardless. I just won't drink anything late! lol

I was wondering about the radio thing. I will definitely add that to my list of things to go with them. The door will be locked but I want a sign up as well. My honey is being so great about all of this. He told me that if the workers need in that room and neither one of us can get there then they can just come back because the cats safety and happiness is of utmost importance. He is going to try to get everything done ASAP so at least he can move in and be with them.
OK.....so I am 1/2 serious and 1/2 kidding about this but......I waiting for my prescription at CVS today and they didn't exactly have the line going down an "impulse buy" section. What was in the aisle instead was a female urinal. $10 by DriveMedical. Might not be a bad thing to have around if you spend the night prior to proper plumbing.