Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

How much does your cat eat

Medelweiss

Savannah Child
I've been feeding my two cats raw but they seem still hungry. I end up feeding them 3-5 times a day. I also add dried chicken treats. I also sometimes open a can of sardines or cat can food.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Are your cats adults? If their energy level is high, they'll eat a lot. If they are kittens, they'll have hearty appetites probably up to 12 months before it starts to level off. Try feeding more food at each meal. A base line indicator of how much a cat should eat is 4% of body weight. For a 12 lb cat of average energy that would be 7.68 ounces of food per day. If the cat is very energetic, it could eat from 6% to 10% or more of body weight per day.

Are you feeding a balanced diet? Commercial raw foods are balanced with the appropriate meat/bone/organ ratio. If you're feeding your own raw mixture or meat chunks, bones, organs be sure the ratios are correct.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
As long as your cats/kittens appear to be a healthy weight I would feed them as much as they want. As others have said, Savannahs are a very active breed so they are likely to require a higher caloric intake than the average domestic to keep up with their energy requirements.

Medelweiss

Savannah Child
My cats are 6months old. I feed them raw food by buddies. Also add can food to their diet called go petcurean. I think they must eat about 10% of their body weight! Thanks for all the info/ help.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk