Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

How was your experience...

Trish Allearz

So how was your experience purchasing your first Savannah?

Did you find it difficult picking out the right kitten? Or was it easy? How about contacting breeders and talking to them? Was there certain things you liked (say weekly photos) or certain things that made you nervous (say the breeder goes out of contact for a week or two)?

Trish Allearz

I found purchasing my first Savannah extremely nerve wracking and worrisome. First- I had signed up for the SV lists a long time ago, but eventually unsubscribed because it made me sad that I couldn't get a SV at the time. So when I started looking- silly me- I wasn't on any lists. So it was hard to know who was 'legit' and who might be a scammer. Then it was difficult because a lot of breeders do not post prices on their sites. I knew I wanted an F1/F2, but I couldn't get a kitten at the higher end of the price range- but without inquiring, it was hard to know which breeders to look at (price-wise) that had kittens I was interested in.

I looked at a lot of sites and sent out a lot of emails... I met mostly wonderful compassionate breeders who loved their cats and then when I saw Simon- I knew he was mine and I wanted to bring him home.

I will admit- I still worried after I paid for him that perhaps his breeder was a scammer- she isn't- LOL- obviously.

Rylie

Diorcats
It was a long nerve wracking experience finding a breeder for me too!

My breeder took weekly videos and pictures. It was so hard waiting for the next set of videos and pictures, especially when day 7 and a half rolled around. LOL I went in always knowing I wanted an F2 male. Turns out Nailah was missexed and two weeks before shipping I found out that he was actually a she. It was the first time the breeder had ever done that, and it was an honest mistake and she was sooo great about making it better but I was devastated for about a week. And now I couldn't be happier. Nailah is so much more than I could have ever imagined! Turns out my DSH female actually gets along with females better!

Trish Allearz

It was a long nerve wracking experience finding a breeder for me too!

My breeder took weekly videos and pictures. It was so hard waiting for the next set of videos and pictures, especially when day 7 and a half rolled around. LOL I went in always knowing I wanted an F2 male. Turns out Nailah was missexed and two weeks before shipping I found out that he was actually a she. It was the first time the breeder had ever done that, and it was an honest mistake and she was sooo great about making it better but I was devastated for about a week. And now I couldn't be happier. Nailah is so much more than I could have ever imagined! Turns out my DSH female actually gets along with females better!
Awww! I bet your breeder was so upset! I have my vet double and triple check for me because I did screw up with a Sphynx before! And the owner didn't even realize it until the kitty was ready to be fixed! UGH! I felt sooo foolish!

I really like updates- email updates, photo updates, videos, as a kitten grows. For me- as a buyer- this is what I want. It helps me start to bond even before the baby comes home!

Rylie

Diorcats
It was really something though. The entire time I was bonding with this little boy of mine I was seeing weekly, a name NEVER came to me. And that is so rare for me. Usually when I have bonded with an animal they kind of just "tell" me their name. Immediately after the phone call when I was told that he was actually a she, I was in tears but all of a sudden "Nailah" just whispered through my head. And for the first time, I actually knew who my baby was. It was a beautiful and surreal moment, and I knew that it was meant to be.

Then I hopped online and googled the name and turns out it was coincidentally an African name that means Successful. How perfect!

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
My experiences were all positive, although I could never get enough pics of my coming babies! I know I drove a few crazy begging for more pics lol! I would look at them over and over, trying out different names...and tried not to worry that someone else was getting them after all, or my car would break down on the way to pick them up, or some other delay would happen (and it did; on my part). I have talked online to quite a few breeders, and most were great at returning emails, even if I did not get their kitten, I was always thanked anyway. See, even breeders go through the same nerve-wracking process getting our cats :) The excitement and anticipation of getting a new kitten never goes away....

K

Kronos

I did a lot of browsing around, reading breeder's websites before making any inquiries. I would say I spent 1 year knowing the breed was out there and thinking I could never own one because they were so expensive (thinking the F1/F2 gens) and then 2 or 3 months researching and realizing that I could afford a lower gen, and a good solid month getting serious about adding one to my family.

I narrowed my decision between two breeder websites, and I will say what drew me to the sites were that they constantly updated what was available which I found to be very helpful. I emailed them both, one replied faster than the other. I called them both, they both were wonderful.

Kronos' baby picture was on the website and I loved his hooded eyes. At the time I didn't know the "sad" kitten face look we see in SVs was because of having hooded eyes, and I thought that those sad eyes were just saying "take me home take me home!" In the email I sent I also asked for the kitten that liked to cuddle the most and they told me Kronos was always trying to sit on their shoulders and well... I put a deposit on him :)

Things I liked: UPDATED website with lots of pictures, friendly and honest over the phone, prompt replies via email