Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Hyperesthesia

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Shere Tani is on Prozac for her aggression, we tried gabapentin but it didn't have any effect.

Vito

Site Supporter
Shere Tani is on Prozac for her aggression, we tried gabapentin but it didn't have any effect.
Ah I see, I misunderstood there and thought she was on the gabapentin. Thanks very much for your input Patti, much appreciated, will keep this thread updated as we go along. It may or not help anyone with the same problem. On the brighter side, Lola seems a more happy , contented and loving wee girl.

Vito

Site Supporter
Lola doing okay, though her dose of Gabapentin was increased to 1.02 ml every 8 hours about 6 days ago, all was going well until today where circumstances outwih my control meant she was an hour late having her dose and as a result she pulled quite a bit of fur out.
She has an appointment at the vet hospital next Friday for review and possibly a neurological examination and blood work, will keep posted here how she gets on.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Maybe they'll find something treatable that hasn't previously been detected - fingers crossed!

Vito

Site Supporter
Maybe they'll find something treatable that hasn't previously been detected - fingers crossed!
Yes I hope so as I really don't want her to be on meds for all of her life, she's only 16months old, fingers crossed as you say Patti !

Vito

Site Supporter
Lola has finally been diagnosed with Hyperesthesia after months of tests, neurological, dietary, allergy and lots of other things ruled out.
It's been a very stressful time for her and us, up shot being is that she needs to remain on Gabapentin to control the seizures of the nerves. She is doing well, having good days and bad. She can go a few days without pulling frantically at her fur and then all of a sudden she will have an episode. The only downside of the medication is the intermittent diarrhea which we manage with VBS clay, which is pretty much the same as ProKolin. Hyperesthesia is a very complex condition with symptoms akin to other problems, and it's really just been a process of elimination. Vets are always very reluctant to give the diagnosis until everything else has been ruled out. Meds are given every 8 hours and she's now tolerating it well. 95e4829a-dc27-482d-ac93-6ba503240f7d.JPG

Patti

Admin
Staff member
That must be so stressful for you, but at least you now have a definitive diagnosis. I have two cats in medications but they are only dosed once a day, I can't imagine having to pill them three times a day!

Vito

Site Supporter
That must be so stressful for you, but at least you now have a definitive diagnosis. I have two cats in medications but they are only dosed once a day, I can't imagine having to pill them three times a day!
Hi Patti, yes it was very difficult at first, trying to pill her by hand was virtually impossible, she would bite with such force, putting it in her food didn't work as she knows you've tampered with it and simply refused to eat, she would rather starve. I tried a pill gun, that terrified the life out of her so the Gabapentin is now in liquid form and she actually tolerates it with the oral syringe, it's over in seconds, but as soon as she sees your after her with it, it's a task and a half trying to lure her in, but we get there, we have too ! We adore our wee lass and just glad we can help her live a relatively normal life. Vito and Franco seem more at ease with her now that she's not climbing the walls.

Vito

Site Supporter
Be sure to give her a treat as soon as you dose her, that should help it be a more pleasurable experience for her.
Yes that's usually what we do, must admit I always feel pretty grim having to lure her in to give her it, poor little lass. It wouldn't be so bad if it was once a day but 3 is a trial. Vets want to try reducing to twice a day in few weeks to see if it'll still work so we will see what happens, will keep you posted. Thank you for your concern Patti.