Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

I guess im alittle late on this one.

C

Coolcat

Bengal spayed manx not. The male SV im getting is about 4 months old,when should i get him done.At this age would he smell her and spray/will she smell him and sent mark ?I should be getting manx spayed in about 2 wks ?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
He can be neutered at any time. The last thing you want is for him to get hormonal and start spraying - at that point it will be more difficult to curb the behavior. I have had four month olds mount females so don't think he's too young...

C

Coolcat

He can be neutered at any time. The last thing you want is for him to get hormonal and start spraying - at that point it will be more difficult to curb the behavior. I have had four month olds mount females so don't think he's too young...
So if i can only afford one at the monent make it him?How long should i give him to adjust to the new house and people before the snip snip.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
How old is the manx? What time frame are you looking at before you can afford a second surgery? You have to remember that intact females will spray as well. Also, a neuter is usually less expensive than a spay. If your manx is already an adult I would do her first. You also need to check with your vet - some won't neuter before 5 months of age or 5lbs, although others will do it a neuter at 8 weeks.

scorpius

Chirps & Massive Headbutts
For what it's worth, still haven't neutered Shango (@19 weeks). He hasn't sprayed and is doing great in his two, gigantic litter boxes. But will be getting him neutered pretty soon.

C

Coolcat

For what it's worth, still haven't neutered Shango (@19 weeks). He hasn't sprayed and is doing great in his two, gigantic litter boxes. But will be getting him neutered pretty soon.
Do SVs use one litter box for voiding, and one for BMs? What brand of litter does Shango prefer?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Different cats can be individual that way. I don't find that mine will do that but have heard some cats like one box for peeing and another for pooping.