Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

I Have "Louieproofed" My Home (Kinda)

L

Louie'sDad

Louie now 10 MO, and I have reached a sort of armistice. A Mexican standoff if you will. We're both happy, although I don't get to see him 24/7 like I used to. The reason for this is that in addition to my office, which has always been off limits for him because it has always been impossible to keep him from causing mayhem to my papers, files, photos, equipment, pens, pencils etc etc etc while I'm busy working. Every now and then I let him in for a few minutes, but only when my eyes are riveted to him.

For the last month, I have also restricted his access to two additional rooms (only while supervised or otherwise on occasions which I deem appropriate according to his moods). First is my TV room after he knocked some of my trophies (which are shelved directly above my 54 inch flat screen TV) off their perch and just missing striking my expensive TV. He also goes after my award ribbons and plaques which adorn the walls. Second is my bedroom after repeated attempts at getting him to stop pouncing on my hands and feet at 4:30 AM have proven fruitless.

So, I removed all of the live plants from the "free access" areas of my 1800 sq ft townhouse to the master bedroom and the TV room. That leaves the now bare and spartan (Louieproofed) kitchen, living room, dining room, 1/2 bath which contains his litterbox, dinette, stairway, upstairs bathroom and upstairs hallway with vaulted ceiling which gives him a panoramic view of the first floor. He has now calmed down to a very acceptable level, as well as now becoming more aware and absorbed with (thankfully!!) the outside views/animals through windows and sliding glass doors. He also is more satisfied with his toys.

He greets me with gusto and loud voice/headbutting when I emerge from any of the off-limits rooms, and I no longer hear crashing and breaking of things when I'm sequestered from him. I'm also giving him much more time in the car, as well as much more time outside while tethered to a 50' length or rope.

I only wish that he could sleep with me, but I just can't get him to stop hunting at 4:30 AM.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tort518

Savannah Super Cat
Dear Louie,

We have been apprised of the worsening conditions of your captivity, and we find this treatment of one of our own appalling and unacceptable. Despair not for you are strong of spirit and you will triumph.

Humor your captor and let him delight in the indignities and torments that he believes will break your will. For it is when he is lulled into such illusory perceptions that he will become complacent, revealing a weakness you may exploit.

Search quietly for the unsecured object that will make a truely cacophanous uproar when your captor is at his most vulnerable, and with great glee, break it with all your might and skill!

We will wait quietly, our thoughts and prayers focused on you Louie.

Till your day of triumph, yours in solidarity,

Yuki and Yeti - To Victory!

L

Louie'sDad

Dear Louie,

We have been apprised of the worsening conditions of your captivity, and we find this treatment of one of our own appalling and unacceptable. Despair not for you are strong of spirit and you will triumph.

Humor your captor and let him delight in the indignities and torments that he believes will break your will. For it is when he is lulled into such illusory perceptions that he will become complacent, revealing a weakness you may exploit.

Search quietly for the unsecured object that will make a truely cacophanous uproar when your captor is at his most vulnerable, and with great glee, break it with all your might and skill!

We will wait quietly, our thoughts and prayers focused on you Louie.

Till your day of triumph, yours in solidarity,

Yuki and Yeti - To Victory!

Yes. He knows. Survival of the fittest.

He always waits 'till my hands are full to pull a stunt. His actions are then lightening fast and decisive. At this point, I think of myself as the hobbled old bull buffalo culled from the herd by lions on the African Savannah.