Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

I think I created a mouse monster

Kaiser891

Savannah Adult
My four month old F3, Charlie, is now addicted to whole mice, I think. He eats NO dry food, sometimes eats the frankenprey I make for the other four cats I have, occasionally he'll have a raw chicken wing or gizzard (but he gets tired of them too), but he absolutely loses his mind when he sees his mice on the menu. Since he loves them so much, I would have no problem feeding him mice for breakfast, lunch and dinner, but...
Does anyone know if i'm making a mistake by feeding him mice every day? I understand that mice are probably some of the best things for a cat to eat, but if his main food intake is raw mice, should I be supplementing with something? I didn't see many answers in the other forums or on other raw food websites about this particular situation...
Please advise....

Per Lausund

Staff member
You might want to add a de-wormer unless the mice are SPF, and some fish would probably be beneficial...:big grin:

admin

Paige
Staff member
What kind of mice? How big? Where are they coming from?

I would not feed only mice...mine love mice as well...have you tried chicks or quail? Charlie should probably also have something like Mazuri as a supplement...

And I would deworm every 6 months no matter what...

Niels

Savannah Super Cat
Good topic,

I'm also curious.

I wanted to give 2 of my cats a daily mouse next to their other foods.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Niels, you can do that - no worries...especially since they are getting other food. but to have mice as an only food? not much variety or nutrition, depending on size and where they came from.

Kaiser891

Savannah Adult
Thanks for all the replies... I have replies to your replies...
I'm not sure what SPF means, other than suntan lotion. The mice I have at from Rodent Pro, so I think they're ok. I also JUST got a shipment of mice and quail today. Charlie ate both, of course.
I'm feeding him black hoppers and white hoppers, and I have small quails about the size of a small fist (forgot how old they are).
And what's Mazuri? Sounds like Chinese food.
So, lets say I gave young Charlie two mice three times per day, plus a quail or a chicken thigh at dinner time. Am I covering his nutritional needs with that?
Love this forum , btw... Such a fun website!

admin

Paige
Staff member
haha...I don't know what SPF means either...must be a European thing ;)

Hoppers and small quail are NOT going to cover his nutritional needs...perhaps just use them as a treat and try to feed a raw diet...they actually have very little nutritional value...

Mazuri is a supplement many use that feed a raw diet or whole prey...Kitty Bloom is another and a mixture of supplements still another...if you read some of the posts under this particular forum, you will see what I mean ;)