Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Information

HappyS

Savannah Super Cat
I've found your site very helpful during my quest of information on Savannahs!

I'm always looking at their diet, as to which is healthiest, raw versus dry versus wet etc. Everyone mentions their preference of food but I find it harder to find clear information of how much. So far I've weaned the information that kittens should just be fed as much as they want all the time instead of a set time and amount? Versus the vet who always says strict diet of 1/2 cup twice a day or similar. So maybe an article about their diet, including what never to give to them like milk or dairy, or if it's okay to give them raw salmon versus cooked salmon etc.

Or a savannah cat check list? Removing all harmful plants, child proofing, what a potential human owner should have ready by the time they bring a savannah kitten home?

Or possibly highlighting the differences or similarities of Savannahs and domestic cats?

Or dispelling all of the myths out there about Savannahs. Like all of them becoming 20-30 lbs etc.

Or how to best respond to their actions that are unwanted or how to award those that are wanted to reinforce positive behavior etc.

Just random ideas of info I always look for as a potential Savannah owner, those that are not one just yet :)

DChap

Site Supporter
I'd like to see an article explaining some techniques on training your Savannah basics and maybe even deterrents for unwanted behaivors

admin

Paige
Staff member

I'm always looking at their diet, as to which is healthiest, raw versus dry versus wet etc. Everyone mentions their preference of food but I find it harder to find clear information of how much. So far I've weaned the information that kittens should just be fed as much as they want all the time instead of a set time and amount? Versus the vet who always says strict diet of 1/2 cup twice a day or similar. So maybe an article about their diet, including what never to give to them like milk or dairy, or if it's okay to give them raw salmon versus cooked salmon etc.

Or a savannah cat check list? Removing all harmful plants, child proofing, what a potential human owner should have ready by the time they bring a savannah kitten home?

Name an articles you would really would like to see on Savannahs.

Michelle, why don't you write something for the forum? That would be great!

admin

Paige
Staff member

Or possibly highlighting the differences or similarities of Savannahs and domestic cats?

Or dispelling all of the myths out there about Savannahs. Like all of them becoming 20-30 lbs etc?

Lol, just random ideas of info I always look for as a potential Savannah owner, those that are not one just yet :)

We have a savannah checklist...check it out here: http://www.savannahcatchat.com/forums/savannah-proof-your-home/

HappyS

Savannah Super Cat
Admin: I've seen that list multiple times :) and actually have a print out too for myself!

I was just on her F1 Hybrids site looking at information that I thought she may not have on there or could supplement current articles. Except for the food amount question, the suggestions I mentioned were things/ answers that I have found elsewhere! Sorry if I misunderstood!

admin

Paige
Staff member
I'd like to see an article explaining some techniques on training your Savannah basics and maybe even deterrents for unwanted behaivors

We are actually going to be starting a thread about Savannah behavior...IMO, I like to see everything in one place...we try very hard here to do that, so if we are missing something, please let us know.

Also...please always feel free to start your own thread...others will add to it.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Admin: I've seen that list multiple times :) and actually have a print out too for myself!

I was just on her F1 Hybrids site looking at information that I thought she may not have on there or could supplement current articles. Except for the food amount question, the suggestions I mentioned were things/ answers that I have found elsewhere! Sorry if I misunderstood!

No, it's ok - we need to expand on the savannah-proofing aspect.

as for diet, you will always find a variety of answers because there is no perfect answer for diet. What works for one will not work for another. All anyone can do is offer their opinion and give you an idea on how to accomplish it and then you have to experiment on your own and see what works best for you and your cats.

I think we have a very good forum on diet/raw diet with a variety of opinions and suggestions...this forum has some of the most experienced breeders/owners around and that is what I love about it...