Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Introducing a new F2 kitten to my 12 Y.O. DSH

admin

Paige
Staff member
Aaron, maybe site your side the video we did, Savannah cats and friends...that may help her quite a bit!

Charley

Savannah Super Cat
In some ways, I am happy that the early Bengals were aggressive. I always loved the way that they looked but did not want an aggressive cat and I had seen some of the later generation ones aggressive as well. That got me to look at the Savannahs. I had been around servals and knew that people were able to successfully domesticate them and have them as pets but that it was extremely rare to do the same with the Asian Leopard Cat. That alone led me to believe that the Savannah breed overall, including the high-gens, would be sweeter on average than the Bengals. Rafiki proved my theory and I simply adore my furkid.

Exactly our story too. I have friends who have sweet Bengals though. Jengo's breeder also initially planned to get a Bengal then ended up breeding Savannah's. It's interesting that a lot of Savannah's have Bengal in them. My F5 does, I don't think it has made any difference in his demeanor as he's the " beta" to Jengo and generally is the one who gets "pushed" around. Lol. The serval just has a long history of being cool with humans. IMO I think Savannah's look more exotic with their shape, long legs, ears and faces. I prefer their look to the Bengal. When I was researching these kitties I also fell in love wih the Egyptian Mau and Ocicat.

Chris Elliott

Savannah Super Cat
Exactly our story too. I have friends who have sweet Bengals though. Jengo's breeder also initially planned to get a Bengal then ended up breeding Savannah's. It's interesting that a lot of Savannah's have Bengal in them. My F5 does, I don't think it has made any difference in his demeanor as he's the " beta" to Jengo and generally is the one who gets "pushed" around. Lol.
My impression is, now that Bengals are almost always bred with Bengals, the aggression has been bred out.
The serval just has a long history of being cool with humans.
My understanding is that they form very strong bonds with one or a very small number of people. I don't see coolness in their interaction with those they are bonded with.
IMO I think Savannah's look more exotic with their shape, long legs, ears and faces. I prefer their look to the Bengal. When I was researching these kitties I also fell in love wih the Egyptian Mau and Ocicat.
I love the Bengal spots, and I understand it's not the Serval look. Still, I'm glad that Oni has Bengal two-tone footprint spots.

Aaron

Savannah Super Cat
What an AWESOME video "Savannah Cats and Friends" is... almost brought me to tears (some nostalgia from my last kitty who passed not so long ago contributed) amazing!

admin

Paige
Staff member
What an AWESOME video "Savannah Cats and Friends" is... almost brought me to tears (some nostalgia from my last kitty who passed not so long ago contributed) amazing!
Thanks Aaron! Glad you liked it!