Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Is full vocal recovery possible from feline laryngitis

Sunny

Loyal Servant
Anubis, my Mau/DSH came down with a case of feline laryngitis passed to him from Ra, passed to them both from Isis.

Ra bounced back after 3 days on his own, having lost his voice completely on the 2nd and 3rd days.

Anubis on the other hand did not recover after a full week and required antibiotics to carry him to recovery, Clavamox, and his voice returned only somewhat after several days of treatment.

His appetite never left him, he was somewhat lethargic, and is now the picture of health again I think. But his voice was always powerful, but high pitched/girly. Now it's more raspy and squeaky.

I fear that his howling, more like croaking because it was very frog like and pitiful, the 1/2 mile drive and 20min wait for the vet caused permanent damage. Or, that he still has the cold somewhat.

Will he ever get his full voice back?

Sunny

Loyal Servant
Thanks me too!

To add, it has been two weeks since the last treatment of Clavamox which was 3 pills per day for almost two weeks. So almost a month recovery hence my post worried that 'this is it.'

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Hopefully he will recover completely but it may be that he either still has an infection that is effecting his vocal chords, or that the previous infection caused permanent damage to the chords :-(

John Popp

Site Supporter
It could also be that he just has an aversion to creating the tones that were causing him the most pain. That could well straighten out with time and keep us posted as to the changes you hear.

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
Might also be a viral infection, in which case the clavamox won't touch it. Give it time.

Sunny

Loyal Servant
When I return from my Boston trip, if he is unable to make the same meows as before, I will book an appointment with the vet for next week to have a battery of tests run. It could be he has something else in conjunction, or it could be viral requiring a more specialized antibiotic. Thanks for the comments, everyone!

S

shelby

Think about yourself with the same diagnosis. You know to use a whisper voice...he doesn't understand this;>( I am sure he has not refrained from yelling;>( Given time I am sure all will return to normal.

D

Dantes

If cats' vocal cords are similar to humans, then whispering is about the worst thing you can do for your cords. Whispering actually puts more stress on the vocal cords, and stress of a bad, uneven kind. Making no sound at all, while very difficult for most humans, is the best thing you can do (speaking very softly is the 2nd best, and some say that creating a very low hum--being careful to not make it breathy like a whisper--is a therapy for vocal cord stress). It'll be interesting to find out what caused it and what the treatment is, especially for a cat-node (if that's what he's got).

Sunny

Loyal Servant
He was not talking, or purring, when in the full clutches of the cold. He was also eating more slowly and puking up clear or whitish bile. I notice it most often because he as always a conversationalist, trilling or mumbling to himself. This is absent. He came looking for me on Sat night, trilling and meowing until he found me upstairs, very happy, but lacking the same gusto. A vet trip to confirm permanent damage is definitely in order, but it will have to wait another full week.