Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Is my cat a savannah?

Stephanie

Savannah Kitten
I have a 7 month old cat that was found abandoned outside of my friend's work. At first I thought he was a typical domestic house cat but now that he is older I think he might be a savannah. Is behavior is unlike my other cats. He much more playful, enjoys following me around my apartment, and is much more active. He also has markings that I haven't seen before. He spots on his belly and much more defined stripes on his face. Is there any way I can find out if he is a savannah? image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sunny

Loyal Servant
A genetic test can be performed by some vets which will give you the breakdown by major breeds that contributed, but he looks mixed with spotted tabby and __________ which can explain some idiosyncrasies. It's a common mystery that short of a microchip or lost & found ad, will be extremely difficult to track down to know for certain. It sounds like he has a wonderful personality, do you think he escaped? I find it hard to accept with any cat how they can be brought in as family and left out as trash. It pisses me off; I'm too soft. Kudos to you for providing him a home and companionship - it sounds like he's already bonding to you!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
There is no currently available test to determine Serval heritage I'm afraid. And behavior is not something that truly identifies a breed, the domestic shorthair I had thirteen years ago (immediately before we got our first Savannah) was exceedingly active, interactive and loved water. She was also spotted. There are a number of spotted domestic breeds too!

Sometimes given good pictures, it is possible to make a pretty good guess, we that run Savannah Rescue need to do this on a regular basis. Cats end up in shelters without papers and so we have to try to work it out just from a picture or two...

I assume that you've already had the vet look for a microchip and put up found posters and listed him as found on Craigslist etc? If you gave your location then maybe someone might have heard of a missing cat too..

Stephanie

Savannah Kitten
Thanks for the wonderful replies. I guess my post was a little confusing. I actually found him when he was about 7 weeks old and now he is 7 months old. I was actually hoping there was a genetic test but I guess for now it will be a mystery.

More pictures soon to come.

jungle boy

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks for the wonderful replies. I guess my post was a little confusing. I actually found him when he was about 7 weeks old and now he is 7 months old. I was actually hoping there was a genetic test but I guess for now it will be a mystery.

More pictures soon to come.

One sure fire way to know if he is a Savannah is to tally up the damages to all the things that he has destroyed in your home. If it is a very paltry sum, you know for sure that he is NOT a Savannah!
;)GORGEOUS boy either way!, lol!

Stephanie

Savannah Kitten
One sure fire way to know if he is a Savannah is to tally up the damages to all the things that he has destroyed in your home. If it is a very paltry sum, you know for sure that he is NOT a Savannah!
;)GORGEOUS boy either way!, lol!

he is such a trouble maker! but it would still be neat to know if he is or not