Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

itv this morning .dr scott /wildheart animal sanctuary

akira

Savannah Super Cat
hi folks. itv in the uk had a programme on this morning regarding the breeding of servals and savannahs /hybrids.dr scott and the wildheart animal sanctuary ,isle of wight, they are campaigning to ban the breeding of hybrids.i have an f5 myself and ive never owned/owned by such a lovely cat.i dont see a problem with breeding exotic cats in the proper envirnment as long as all are happy and healthy.i didnt buy a savannah as a showpiece/status symbol,she was purchased as they are unique.i previously had a bengal who lived until 17.why are the savannahs getting a bad name? theres never a mention of the dangerous dogs or dogs with cross breeds ie cockerpoos etc.in my opinion people should be vetted more than the animal they are buying so they can be assessed to make sure they can give this lovely felines the very best in life,

Vito

Site Supporter
This absolutely infuriates me, I've heard recently about them trying to ban Savannah's in the UK. These people do not have a clue what their talking about, I own or should I rephrase that, I am owned by three Savannah's, you couldn't ask for more friendly, loveable and loyal cats. Total love bugs.
They do not attack people, eat their pets or are vicious crazed animals.
Having worked with and owned cats for 30 + years, I've been bitten, scratched and attacked by domestic cats more times than I can remember , but simply due to bad press Savannah's are made out to be vicious demons. The press are responsible for all the scaremongering and know absolutely nada about this beautiful breed.

MorganDax

Savannah Super Cat
My F5 is adorable and loving and extremely attached to me...unless there's another cat in her vicinity. She has severe territorial aggression and cannot be housed with or near other cats. And unfortunately she also displays redirected aggression if any humans try to get between her and the cat she's after.

I've had lots of domestic cats and I know this level of territorial aggression is possible in any cat, but I do feel it's more severe and more dangerous in my Savannah due to the fact she's faster and stronger than a typical housecat.

Do I think that means they should be banned? Absolutely not. As was mentioned, certain dog breeds are just as dangerous and aggressive.

I agree more stringent regulations are needed for pet ownership. Savannahs are one of the few healthy breeds due to it being new and not having the inbreeding that most other breeds have. They're lovely and amazing pets. But I wouldn't go so far as to say they're better behaved than other pets. Animals are animals, that's what we get for having living beings in our homes with teeth and claws, lol. If someone can't handle that, then they shouldn't have pets. Simple as that.

akira

Savannah Super Cat
i agree 100% .cats are cats and no matter if we try to domestic them,they always will be what they were born to be.our savannah is also very clingy to me.they seem to pick their favourite human early on.people should think twice about savannah ownership,as i think people look at a savannah and think i want one cause they look so wild.they then discover that more work is required as they are super smart,then the novelty wears off and they end up bored with them etc,the end result up for adoption. the bond they had is gone,

Vito

Site Supporter
Yes I too have to agree with Morgandax, more stringent vetting of potential owners is needed, There are many wonderful dedicated breeders out there who really care where their babies are homed to, but unfortunately there are the bad breeders who really don't care as long as their making top dollar they'll keep churning out the kittens to whoever turns up with the cash regardless of whether the buyer is knowledgeable, experienced or prepared for the lifetime commitment . As mentioned, too many people acquire these cats on a fanciful whim without doing their research as to what is required when living with Savannahs.
I have 3, F4 F5 and F7 and whilst they are so lovable and loyal, they are also as tricky as a box of monkeys and are a lot of work, I of course wouldn't be without my Savannahs but people really need to realize that life adjustments must and have to be made in order to give these beautiful creatures the wonderful life they deserve.
THERE ARE NO SUCH THING AS BAD SAVS JUST BAD OWNERS. And that pretty much pertains to any animal and not just Savannah's.

akira

Savannah Super Cat
yes i agree 100% ,they can be tricky and i would never encourage anyone whos never owned a feline to get a savannah.we were prepared with the differences having had a bengal for over 17 years .they need a lot of your time.after nearly 4 years with a savannah id be sad without her.a lovely companion