Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Ixas' Great Adventure

admin

Paige
Staff member
I took Ixas to Petco today to get him used to lots of sounds and smells and he was a big hit! Seems they never have cats visit and were thrilled! I had him in his PetGo carrier with his harness and leash on and he was a bit scared, but loved all the attention.

I put him down and people were so amazed that he was only 5 months old and a savannah cat! He had people buying him toys and petting him, talking to him, loving him. he was such a good boy! Talked to everyone, walked around on his harness and leash and would jump from the floor to his carrier in the cart, when he became too overwhelmed.

The ferrets loved him, but he wasn't too interested in them. he liked the guinea pigs and fish best ;) All in all, it was a very positive experience and we will go back again tomorrow (with Cinny)...as a matter-of-fact, Ixas has been sitting in his carrier, crying, so is ready for another road trip!

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Awesome Paige! I think taking them to the pet store is one of the best ways to prepare them for the show hall :)

Agreed with Deborah. Bring your dang camera next time! :)

admin

Paige
Staff member
Ixas is always so outgoing so i was shocked that he is so scared in the show hall, Pam! I am hoping that taking him out every day will help him overcome being scared in the rings...he is a beautiful, gentle, well-behaved boy and needs to stand tall instead of crouching in the cage...maybe we can get him to do that?

Cinny on the other hand, sits tall and proud but at the end of the day, turns into a hissy mini-Zuri...so maybe getting spayed will solve that issue ;) She will go to Petco with Ixas tomorrow...and I know a camera will be in order for that duo - LOL!

Next week he will go to Home Depot ;)

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Good for Ixas! Hopefully after a few similar trips it will be old hat for him to be surrounded by adoring strangers! :)

ScottKelly911

Savannah Super Cat
Paige, I'm so glad you guys had so much fun! I swear that's one of the most fun outings for me is to take Shelby to one of the three Pet Stores, I go to. Like you said, few people ever bring in cats. All the employees and customers alike seem to really get a kick out of seeing their first Savannah and learning about the breed. Sometimes I feel like a broken record explaining about the breed, but most people are super friendly and appreciative to have the opportunity to pet, hold and learn about our little babies and I enjoy the added attention as well (maybe this'll lead to me finding that special girl ;) ). Definitely take pictures next time you go, that's what Camera phones are for :lol:

admin

Paige
Staff member
Scott, you are soo right! he is still a baby and was scared, but by the end of the hour, he was much better! So Petco again today ;) Next week, I will take him to Home Dept and hope they don't kick me out...Home Depot is a good place because there are lots of overhead announcements that echo, similar to the show hall!

I did meet lots of guys there yesterday and one bought Ixas a toy...there were also lots of women and two bought Ixas a toy, so I say you have a good chance of meeting someone - keep the faith ;)

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think a Savannah is a magnet for meeting people, much like a cute puppy is....Years ago, I had a male friend who asked to borrow our beagle puppy to take to the park for just that reason ;-)

Paige, I hope this all helps Ixas to be more comfortable in noisy, strange situations and with strangers coming up to pet and handle him!