Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Katz Walking Jacket

Diane

Savannah Super Cat
Those are great walking jackets....I have the same pattern for my F3 that I've bought from there too. It's funny when they first get them on. My F3 froze and didn't want to move, then he just fell over on his side like he was drunk!:big grin:

Kristin

Animal Communicator
I hope he is ok... What is the problem with Zeddie??? Sorry to hear!

She stopped barfing because of a shot she got, but she is super constipated. She got an enema last night and this am...she pooped a bit last night so she is allowed to be home now but under careful watch

John Popp

Site Supporter
Just a tip on the JoyKatz walking jackets. Always attach the neck strap first and make sure it's snug before attaching the torso strap. What this does is assure that the jacket is snug enough where their head will have trouble coming through and also establish the position of the torso strap. If the neck is done first, the torso strap will be high enough on the chest that they can't slip an elbow under to escape.

Also make sure they are snug! Around the neck you should be able to slip a finger in but if you can slide two fingers in it's too loose. Pretty much same for the torso strap, make sure you can slide in two fingers, and if you can slide in a third it's too loose.

Definitely loved those jackets and Elsa's first go round reminds me much of Chongo and his introduction to them.

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
Just a tip on the JoyKatz walking jackets. Always attach the neck strap first and make sure it's snug before attaching the torso strap. What this does is assure that the jacket is snug enough where their head will have trouble coming through and also establish the position of the torso strap. If the neck is done first, the torso strap will be high enough on the chest that they can't slip an elbow under to escape.

Also make sure they are snug! Around the neck you should be able to slip a finger in but if you can slide two fingers in it's too loose. Pretty much same for the torso strap, make sure you can slide in two fingers, and if you can slide in a third it's too loose.

Definitely loved those jackets and Elsa's first go round reminds me much of Chongo and his introduction to them.

Good advice.... But the way that I have had to do it is to loosely attach the 2nd (aft) strap first, the the neck strap, then I go back to readjust the 2nd strap... that is about the only way that I can get it on her right now..

John Popp

Site Supporter
Good advice.... But the way that I have had to do it is to loosely attach the 2nd (aft) strap first, the the neck strap, then I go back to readjust the 2nd strap... that is about the only way that I can get it on her right now..

Just be careful, the best opportunity for them to escape is getting an elbow under the torso strap. Because of a Savannah's small head pretty easy for them to squeak it through the neck loop. The biggest thing is that the torso is firmly up against the front legs and getting the neck strap on first is the best way to assure it.

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
Just be careful, the best opportunity for them to escape is getting an elbow under the torso strap. Because of a Savannah's small head pretty easy for them to squeak it through the neck loop. The biggest thing is that the torso is firmly up against the front legs and getting the neck strap on first is the best way to assure it.

Very good point.. I found if I do not loosely install the aft strap that I have no chance of getting the front (neck) strap... If I leave it to where it will slide I can work with the neck.. If I lave the aft straps loose, she won't stop playing with them and hence I can never get it on... Once I get the neck on, I then redo the aft strap to make it right... The first step is a stop gap measure to get her to better cooperate. It took me 45 minutes the first attempt and never did get it... When I put the aft one on first the entire thing went on in about 5 minutes and she does not fight me/play as much... Maybe when she gets older and knows she gets to go walking outside, she will allow me to put it on her better... Keep in mind she is VERY young, Monday she will be 11 weeks old.

Right now, just trying to get her used to it... Easier now than later... I would like to be able to walk her outside when the weather gets better... But of course for the past couple of days it has been in the mid 60's to low 70's...

John Popp

Site Supporter
You may want to use a little clipnosis to get the job done. Just scruff her with a large paper clip, or chip clip and when she goes into that kitty trance hit her with the walking jacket before she gathers her senses.

1975m28vzo9cvpng.png

I watched the video of Elsa squirming a few times and if I didn't no better I'd think it was Chongo and I wrestling to get his jacket on. Everything was always a game for him and he firmly believed I was put on earth to entertain him.

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
You may want to use a little clipnosis to get the job done. Just scruff her with a large paper clip, or chip clip and when she goes into that kitty trance hit her with the walking jacket before she gathers her senses.

1975m28vzo9cvpng.png

I watched the video of Elsa squirming a few times and if I didn't no better I'd think it was Chongo and I wrestling to get his jacket on. Everything was always a game for him and he firmly believed I was put on earth to entertain him.

WOW.. Did you ever use Clips like that... That looks like it would seriously hurt...

BTW, I am not 100% sure, but I think that Elsa is Chongo's aunt...

John Popp

Site Supporter
I haven't used those types of clips but definitely clothes pins and chip clips. Never bothered any of our cats.

Not 100% sure on who Chongo's Mom was, but pretty sure it was Valentine or Magenta. His Dad was definitely Commando.

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
I haven't used those types of clips but definitely clothes pins and chip clips. Never bothered any of our cats.

Not 100% sure on who Chongo's Mom was, but pretty sure it was Valentine or Magenta. His Dad was definitely Commando.

Koebie is Elsa's & Commando's Dad, so they are related... I think that makes Elsa Chongo's aunt if I am correct.