Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Kitten Bloodlines

D

Dantes

Can anyone tell me what I'm supposed to look for in a kitty this young?

I mean, Lori comes with outstanding references ;) I don't doubt her and her flock of furballs in the least.

My biggest fear, whether justified or not, is that I'll end up with two mewling mouths to feed, neither of which is remotely interested in me except as a food source. The other thing is that I'm partial to boy kitties. But maybe I'm not being fair and should consider a girl?

Wyldthingz

Savannah Super Cat
You are so right! As a breeder, it is important that they have a good temperament and have the type (look) I want. I will not buy a kitten at 3 or 4 weeks that are still developing their personality etc. I don't understand breeders that insist that I commit to purchasing a kitten at that age for a breeding prospect. I would rather not buy it until I know. As a pet buyer, don't feel bad for doing the same thing. You are committed to that cat for life and you shouldn't feel constrained to buy them at that age either without knowing what they are like. I do sell kittens as pets at that age but if I am worried that the match is not good, I will let the buyer know as they develop.

K

Kronos

I would like to add, that coming from a reputable breeder, there is SO MUCH LESS of a chance you will end up with a kitten that has a non-standard personality. Lots of time is spent in planning every breeding, and lots of time are spent with the kittens which imprints them on people. However, even the greatest breeders can end up with the occasional kitten that does not "act" like the standard calls for. It happens. But, as the kitten grows and develops, a good breeder would let you know like Wyldthingz said.

Wyldthingz

Savannah Super Cat
I would like to add, that coming from a reputable breeder, there is SO MUCH LESS of a chance you will end up with a kitten that has a non-standard personality. Lots of time is spent in planning every breeding, and lots of time are spent with the kittens which imprints them on people. However, even the greatest breeders can end up with the occasional kitten that does not "act" like the standard calls for. It happens. But, as the kitten grows and develops, a good breeder would let you know like Wyldthingz said.

It is true. I had one that was planned to go to a little girl. He was not as confident as I liked for this family and I dropped the original price of his sister for them because I felt the sister was such a love and better suited for this home. It turned out beautifully and that girl was in love with the kitten and visa versa. He also found a home that was better suited for him as well.