Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Kitten Clumsiness or is something wrong???

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
I have noticed a lot today that when Elsa turns around and goes straight into something... A pole, A Door, or what ever is in the way... She is very alert and attentive... Very curious and playful but she is always running into something. By looking at her eyes everything looks normal, but I am certainly not an eye doctor by any means.

Could this be because of a small room.... Just be excited and playful not paying attention... or do I have a problem that I should address?

One thing I will say is that when I watch her on security camera she is playful, but when I am with her she kicks on the afterburners and is full speed ahead...

Last edited:

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Have you taken her to the vet yet? Normally contracts call for a vet visit within the first 72 hrs. Most likely you're just looking at 1) kitten clumsiness, 2) classic SV disregard for anything in their path. When I got my first, I though he was mentally impaired. He'd walk straight off the bed and counters -- completely disregarded the edge of things. And I lost track of the number of times he ran into things so hard that he nearly knocked himself out. That first year was a doozy.

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
Have you taken her to the vet yet? Normally contracts call for a vet visit within the first 72 hrs. Most likely you're just looking at 1) kitten clumsiness, 2) classic SV disregard for anything in their path. When I got my first, I though he was mentally impaired. He'd walk straight off the bed and counters -- completely disregarded the edge of things. And I lost track of the number of times he ran into things so hard that he nearly knocked himself out. That first year was a doozy.

He has not been to the vet yet... Probably Monday for a checkup. Just bringing her in yesterday I did not want to develop more stress (of which she developed NONE!) and acted like she enjoyed flying, and loved the ride home and relaxed all the way (note her 1st video). On Saturday and Sunday they are always more busy and the vet that specializes in Savannahs is off on the weekends.

It was hard to tell yesterday, but today you can tell she was quite tired and she rested almost all night...

When she runs into things it is usually when she turns around, and boom, it is there... She has not hurt herself or even paid attention to it. She has been flying upto, on, and into the bathtub (no water). She slid off the back of side of the tub and bent but first into her water dish... Was actually funny, but I dried her off. By watching her navigate the top of the tub, I do not think she could have done it that many times that skillfully by hearing and scent alone. At this point, I am not suspecting vision, even though that was my first thought (why do we always imagine the worst things first?).

Well we are on day 2, so I guess that gives us another 363 to catch up to your first year.

John Popp

Site Supporter
Not at all uncommon for them to be clumsy through the first year, and perhaps even reckless. Kind of like the gangly teenager a half foot taller than everyone else who emerged into a graceful athlete by their senior year. Nothing to sweat until they decide they actually like being reckless.

Lesley

Site Supporter
Our Mala still does this at 9 mos. and Spar enjoys crashing into things. Sounds normal to me.

Lesley

Site Supporter
Also, I was looking at your pics when Elsa arrived home. The first one of her coming out of the carrier with her eyes locked on you pretty much dispels any vision problems for me.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think kittens can be clumsy as others say, and when excited don't look where they are going. Well actually, even my 8 year old has a tendency to crash into things when in play mode. It might be hard to distinguish from a description here between that carelessness due to exuberance and any failings in vision.

It's hard for even a vet to determine that. They can't read an eye chart for us, so unless there is a visible issue even a vet is likely to not be able to work that out.

Years ago, I had a kitten here that I was very worried had vision issues...when we'd play with her and her brother, he'd leap at the feather wand and she would seem to leap and miss BADLY. Over and over... I took her to the vet and he couldn't see anything wrong. Then a few weeks later it clicked....she was a shadow chaser and so would prefer to chase the shadow the feathers made to the actual feathers. Then every night with the bedside lamp she and I would have our ritual playtime... In any case, not relevant so much here but just that we have to watch them carefully to truly realize what is going on when they can't explain it to us!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Savannahs in particular have a reputation for being clumsy. I would not worry about it too much unless the vet also suspects a problem. :)