Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Kitten in heat?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I agree with Paige, I've never had to put a cone on any of my boys after neutering, and it probably just adds to the alienation from his sister. I am guessing she is freaked out by the cone and the smell from the hospital. I would try just the opposite of what was suggested - rub her down with a towel and then rub him with it so that you get her scent onto him. Eventually the weird smells will go away and she will be accepting again, but it can sometimes take a few days.

Taco

Savannah Adult
Not sure what the cone is for...none of my savannahs have ever had a cone after neutering...did the vet say how long you are supposed to leave it on?
They were concerned about him licking the surgical site. I was wondering the same as I didn't remember kittens from when I was little having to wear a cone. They said 10-14 days but I've been taking it off and letting him bathe the rest of his body. Once he gets down there I throw it back on. He doesn't seem to mind it at this point.

I also took it off to see if his sister would be nicer...she contined to hiss & growl. We seperated them overnight but of course she figured out how to open the door & continued to hiss and growl...they're seperated now - she's with my husband downstairs...hoping the hospital smell goes away ASAP!!

Taco

Savannah Adult
I agree with Paige, I've never had to put a cone on any of my boys after neutering, and it probably just adds to the alienation from his sister. I am guessing she is freaked out by the cone and the smell from the hospital. I would try just the opposite of what was suggested - rub her down with a towel and then rub him with it so that you get her scent onto him. Eventually the weird smells will go away and she will be accepting again, but it can sometimes take a few days.
I did try the opposite as well - just kept going back & forth with the towel until there was no reaction to it haha seemed to help a little.

I also tried a toy that they both (usually) love to play with together. It didn't go terribly but she is still hissing & growing at him.

Guess it's really a waiting game at this point!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Yay! Glad to hear all is back to normal! I wouldn't worry about losing the cone, unless he starts licking himself down there.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Without external stitches, I don't see the need for a cone. So happy that they are back to playing together!