Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Kittens on a plane

Angie Panczak

Savannah Super Cat
Another SV mystery is their obsessive fixation with gravity. I've had DSHs that knocked things down by accident but my SVs (as with so many others here) like to watch things fall. Paw bats at the object, cat head tilts to watch it fall. Ohhh, that was interesting, let's see if it works again, & again & again....Newton would have loved SVs.
Oh yes I had that last night. I moved a glass candle holder for some stupid reason, izzy has just finished with her litter and decided breaking things is the first thing to do now that she has free run of the house again.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Many catteries are small in home catteries where the cats have full run of the house, so kittycams will not see the light of day here...

There are many privacy issues with this type of thing (webcams)...I do not want my house on display for the entire world...I would not have an issue though with trying this type of thing when the kittens are babies and confined for a couple of hours a day...now that I have built a kitten room, I may do that...

As for the airline thing...I am betting there are restrictions...

Trish Allearz

Um, if you are asking if we'd put some sort of mechanical device in with our cats while shipping- sure, if we want to get the cat refused at the counter! The airlines are very careful about what goes in the crate- obviously since they don't want something dangerous put in there.

Angie Panczak

Savannah Super Cat
I live in Vancouver Washington."

Your in a good location, I've been to dog shows there. If you decide to fly you can look at great breeders in California and even here in Canada :), as flights etc are pretty short. I fly mine out of Great Falls, Montana and think it is only a couple hours to Wa. I bought 2 of mine from California, great breeders there. Although, my F6 queen Azika is the biggest PIA. I think she is a lifer at my house after she is done having babies. No one will take her with the voice she has, lol!

coraljunk

Savannah Teenager
Um, if you are asking if we'd put some sort of mechanical device in with our cats while shipping- sure, if we want to get the cat refused at the counter!
I didn't know that a GoPro would get the cat refused. Do you know specifically why it would? I've never even flown before myself. I have no experience of any variety with airlines. This is exactly the kind of information I'm looking for.
The airlines are very careful about what goes in the crate- obviously since they don't want something dangerous put in there.
Do mean dangerous for the cat or dangerous for the airplane?
My experience with GoPros involves mounting them in, on, under, and getting run over by rally cars. I've never had one break,.... ever. I'm not sure it's even possible. I did some googling and found GoPros getting eaten by sharks and grizzly bears, stolen by hawks and sea gulls and falling 12,500ft out of an airplane, ALL without being destroyed. I also found these and wanted to share.

You've probably seen this one before, but it's still great.

coraljunk

Savannah Teenager
I should clarify. The GoPro fits inside a clear plastic housing that is, as far as I can tell, indestructible. The camera alone is not so tough. If properly secured to a carrier, in the housing, a kitten will not be able to dissect the GoPro and find some way to harm itself with it.

Of course if the airline says no then the answer is just no.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I wouldn't put a collar of any sort on a cat being shipped. Nor would I mount anything inside a carrier (if that's even possible) that could come loose or be a potential hazard to the cat. The potential to knock into something hard inside the carrier is too much risk IMHO.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
I bet there are airline regulations against having such a device. I sure wouldn't want anything besides the basics needed inside a crate with a kitten. For those reasons I'd refuse to do it. I'd also be willing to bet a Go Pro or any other type of camera would most likely "disappear", and if inside a kitten crate, would you want someone looking to steal the device opening the crate with your kitten inside?

As Paige says, my "cattery", as well as many others, is my home, not a facility. I'm sure an AR person would find the goings on at my home pretty boring, except for the Savannah derbies and general mayhem typical of all cats. I wouldn't find having a webcam in my kitten room offensive or intrusive. I would just hate to have to always be on guard against being dressed appropriately, hair brushed, etc. if I were to be within view of a webcam. I might enjoy wearing a tank top, no bra, and boxer shorts...or less....around the house, but I sure wouldn't want the whole world to see how usually I look when I am at home ;)

Green eyed kitty

Mystique the dog/cat;Seraphimah spunky kitty
If I couldn't come and view a kitten and see how they were being raised, I highly doubt I would buy from that breeder unless they had an amazing reputation. Just like a breeder can choose us as a future owner and home to their babies. I think it should be a two way street.

coraljunk

Savannah Teenager
Deborah and Pam, you both make good points and I don't necessarily disagree. I hope my questions aren't taken as recommendations, suggestions or arguments. I ask "why?" a lot. Please let me know if it gets annoying and I'll switch to asking "how?". :p

We live in a time when so much has already been done and put on the web. So when I google something and get no results I wonder why.