Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Lame after rabies/distemper yesterday

meowinNH

Savannah Teenager
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping you can offer some advice. I took my 1 year old F3 female Savannah to the vet yesterday for her annual exam and rabies/distemper. She was in good health when she went in, but since the appointment has been very lame and has barely moved from her spot. She is very slow moving and doesn't appear interested in eating or moving. I called the vet and they said some soreness is normal, and to keep an eye on her.

I'm wondering if this is common or a possible reaction to the vaccines?

Note when she had her first rabies and distemper before coming to me from the breeder a year ago, she apparently got the shots too young and a lump appeared that took a month before going away on its own. I was ultimately told that's a not so uncommon reaction when they are too young.

Thanks, I'm worried and hoping it's nothing but not sure what to do next.

Steve

S

shelby

If the distemper vaccine was live or modified live...and contained the calicivirus...the lameness is probably due to this. It will usually be accompanied by a fever and it can cause a poor appetite. The good news is...with or without antibiotics...it will go away in a few days.I saw this once with modified live vaccine and it was enough for me. The kitten did not want to walk,could not stand to be touched on its legs and it was sad. I do not allow them to be vaccinated with anything but killed vaccines.It is rare, but can be seen up to three weeks after the vaccine has been given.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
It likely is a reaction to the vaccines. The good news is that it usually only lasts 24-72 hours. Next time you might want to consider giving the rabies on a different day than the FVRCP so that it is not such a hard shock to the poor kitty.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I agree with Patti, doing the vaccines on a different day lets them recover from one before being challenged again... much easier on their systems!

meowinNH

Savannah Teenager
Thanks for the replies. About 40 hours later she's doing great, eating and drinking and moving around. I knew she was back to normal when she brought me her toys in the middle of the night. I didnt think about it until I saw her reaction, but had assumed it was not a live vaccine -- will call the vet to confirm. The vet never suggested doing the rabies and distemper on dif't days. Perhaps this is only done once a reaction is first determined.

Going forward, should I be concerned about giving her a rabies vaccine at all, or not do it every year? She's an indoor cat only.

Thanks again, this site is such a great way to stay connected to the Savannah community :)

Steve

S

shelby

The thing with giving multiple vaccines at the same time is....if they have a reaction...you have no idea which one caused it;>(

MM3

Site Supporter
I didn't see a response to a previous question that was asked. If kitty doesn't come in contact with any other animals no dogs or cats (this wasn't the exact question) does a rabies need to be given? Can the vet refuse services for your pet, if your not in favor of rabies or distemper?
Kitty received rabies yesterday, slept all day. No appetite and favoring right side where she received the shot. I am able to give her water only because she will accept water given to her with a syringe.
I did not have her get distemper at the same time, because I wanted to think about it. Almost 24 hours later and she is not herself. She'll eat treats but not interested in your regular food. I read from previous posts this reaction is normal. Thanks

Kristin

Animal Communicator
Depending on where you live, rabies may or may not be required by the law. From experience working in a vet where they have to have rabies, if they don't they will still treat them. I've been bit by a dog that didn't have its rabies vaccine, and they just quarantined it to assess for rabies. It really wasn't a big deal. My personal opinion is that the rabies vaccine is often administered too often (annually at Zeddie's old vet) when it should be once every three years. Since it often causes adverse reactions and is terrible on their body, I will only get it done sparingly

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I would have gotten FVRCP before Rabies, it is far more essential to a cat.

Rabies depends on where you live and what their attitude is on this. It's not required where I live, so my vet doesn't at all encourage it...unless it is a show cat and I am flying somewhere that requires it for example. I have in the past vaccinated cats that I've shown, as the ramifications if they had an accident at a show and someone was bit worries me. I know someone that was showing their cat, a spectator opened their benching cage and stuck their hand in and got bit...and called Animal Control!

If you live in an area that requires rabies and you don't get it done...I don't know what happens at the vet. I would suspect most vets would just treat the cat and pretend they didn't know. If not, then you could talk to your vet about getting an exemption because the cat reacts badly to the vaccine...