Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Litterbox smell sooo overwelming!!!!

dice

Site Supporter
I have 6 litter boxes through out the house, and plan on getting two more when my boy Rufio arrives and his lair is completed.

Other thing I am thinking, could be your heightened sense of smell from pregnancy, that makes for a more intense increase of smell.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I would suggest you check your Bengal kitty (or both) for a urinary tract infection, it is commonly the cause of inappropriate urination, and can also cause the urine to be stinkier than normal. I use Sweet PDZ crystals in all of my boxes and it is amazing how well it handles the smells. I used to gag and have watery eyes when I'd change out my studs' litterboxes, now I can barely smell anything!

JaniceNatalie

Savannah Super Cat
My male had, kill me now fecal odour. Was a gastrointestinal issue. Not typical worms or Protozoa, but a full course of antibiotics, and we are at a point where we will keep him! Yes, it was that bad. I've had cats my entire life, and nothing ever like that. Also removed wet food from diet while he on a special formulation dry food for his tummy issues. Vet said as long as they drinking lots of water, which they do, then it wasn't a problem to remove wet.

Give it a try maybe?

JaniceNatalie

Savannah Super Cat
The reason I came here, my F4 female kitten came to us earlier than we would have liked. Mjudgements are not needed. We got her at eight weeks. And since we had an older kitten already,mri thin two days, she was home. No issued. Fast forward a month later. She is twelve weeks now, and has suddenly taken to peeing in laundry baskets, on towels left on the floor, in the bathtub. We have a litter on main, and lower levels, none up top. Lights left on at night. Never fecal messes.
She is already on broad antibiotics for something else, and it doesn't look like a revenge thing....

Thoughts

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Savannahs have a very effective way of teaching us to be neat and pick up after ourselves! Laundry baskets, clothes on the floor, loose bedding, are all invitations to pee. Be sure to wash everything with a GOOD enzyme cleaner such as Anti-Icky-Poo or Unique Distributors, then make sure the laundry basket is put away and any clothing, towels, etc. are picked up off the floor. Consider adding Cat Attract litter to your litter boxes. You should also consider testing her for UTI if the behavior persists.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Agreed with Patti!

Do you use bleach in your laundry? That can be an attractant to some cats to pee... so bathtubs etc that are cleaned with some bathroom cleaning products might smell bleach-y and hence get peed in. And towels etc that are washed with bleach etc. But cats can make you pick up after yourself...

Okay so idk why it's so bad now but when we moved from San Diego to temecula. We basically still keep the litterbox in bathroom except now there's also a washer dryer in bathroom and its about 3/4 the size of our old bathroom. But still big!! But the smell is sooooooooooooo bad of pee! I've tried 5 different litters, clean it 2x a day, bought a $40 cat litter that's suppose to be amazing, nothing is working!! It's to the point of I can't leave the bathroom door open as its instant headaches. I don't know what's going on. Is it because I have 2 cats now? Or because now he's neutered? Idk know what to do I'm 6 months pregnant and going crazy over how bad it smells.

Koda is 11 months old and we have a 12 week old bengal. And now even our bengal is peeing on my couch instead of the litterbox. Help please??
Okay so idk why it's so bad now but when we moved from San Diego to temecula. We basically still keep the litterbox in bathroom except now there's also a washer dryer in bathroom and its about 3/4 the size of our old bathroom. But still big!! But the smell is sooooooooooooo bad of pee! I've tried 5 different litters, clean it 2x a day, bought a $40 cat litter that's suppose to be amazing, nothing is working!! It's to the point of I can't leave the bathroom door open as its instant headaches. I don't know what's going on. Is it because I have 2 cats now? Or because now he's neutered? Idk know what to do I'm 6 months pregnant and going crazy over how bad it smells.

Koda is 11 months old and we have a 12 week old bengal. And now even our bengal is peeing on my couch instead of the litterbox. Help please??
I had this problem as well so i tried Nonscents. This bag lasts a little over 2 months and kills the odor, it doesn’t just mask it. I will continue to use this product! Also your litter box might not have. A high enough back and if your cat pees standing up that might also have spread the smell around. I wash the sides of the box once a week and i also use dr elseys cat attract litter... this seems to really help my cats stay in the box!

Attachments

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I would have your vet check your cats out to make sure neither of them have a urinary tract infection. I use Sweet PDZ Stall Refresher on the bottom of my litter boxes, it does great absorbing the odors, even from intact males!