Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Loose stool?

AprilAnn

Savannah Super Cat
My baby has been having very loose stool since I got him 2 months ago! His first vet visit we dewormed him, and his second visit the doctor gave me a couple other medications to give him. Well, 2 weeks later and he still has loose stool.

I am wondering if his diet is causing this. I am feeding him wellness core for hard food and he seems to do well on that. For wet food I was giving him BFF and Weruva... But I stopped feeding him BFF. I am just wondering if anyone has suggestions for canned food? I recently purchased natures valley instinct but I haven't tried it yet.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Have you tried him on raw food? Has he been tested for various parasites? Did you transition him slowly from the food his breeder was feeding?

have you tried cooking some chicken and mixing it in with food?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
There can be a lot of causes of diarrhea. If the various antibiotics have not helped you might want to think about obtaining a Diarrhea Panel to rule out an infection. If that is ruled out then diet would be the next thing to evaluate. I agree with Paige's suggestion - you might want to just give him boiled chicken for several days, you can add rice as well if he'll eat it. Be sure to add probiotics since he has been on antibiotics. See if that doesn't clear up the problem. If it does then reintroduce one food at a time and stick to that food for at least two weeks before introducing another food. That way you can hopefully figure out which one his tummy is sensitive to. If the boiled chicken does not clear up the diarrhea then he may be allergic to chicken so try another protein such as turkey, beef, or rabbit. If the diarrhea persists in spite of taking all these steps it is probably time to have him re-evaluated by your vet for such things as IBD or IBS.

S

shelby

Was the stool loose whebn he arrived? If so...what did the breeder tell you? I would be concerned if this has been going on for two months. I would do as Patti suggested and have the vet do the DP AND GO FROM THERE;>)

AprilAnn

Savannah Super Cat
Okay thank you for the advice. So should I be feeding him boiled chicken strictly? No hard food? Do that for a couple weeks and see if it helps.. And if not then try beef, lamb, etc?

admin

Paige
Staff member
You should probably take him top the vet before anything else and get a diarrhea panel done...

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Okay thank you for the advice. So should I be feeding him boiled chicken strictly? No hard food? Do that for a couple weeks and see if it helps.. And if not then try beef, lamb, etc?
I would put him on strictly boiled chicken and rice for a few days to see if the diarrhea clears up, but any longer than that you would need to add supplements which he might not like. But as Paige says, you should first take him to the vet to rule out an infectious process because if it is, no diet change is going to clear it up.

AprilAnn

Savannah Super Cat
He was eating 9lives I transitioned him normally as I was told, but his stool never seemed consistent even before we switched diets. I have an appointment for a vaccine Monday I will bring a stool sample in as well!

I just want my baby to be okay