Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Melanistic breeders - any forum breeders or known programs?

Sunny

Loyal Servant
I will be looking for an F1 or F2 male and figured, I better start my research for what little is out there about this special coat.

Starting with, any breeders on here or know of breeders that breed melanistics?

For the right boy, my house is open but if I don't start querying around now it will be dumb luck I stumble upon a kitten for sale and there's also the temperament...

3 cats in a large room seems to be the right limit before feeling cramped if I'm also in the room, if that makes any sense. But who would deny having two SV kittens? :in love:

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Well... I've produced four melanistic SV kittens to date. I guess that qualifies... But a melanistic F1 would be a world first for ANY breeder. We don't actually know if the solid (non-agouti) gene is the same in Servals and domestics to know that if we can actually get a black F1. There ARE black servals, but none in breeding programs for us to try and see. And no genetic test for nonagouti so we don't know if any carry for it.

Black F2s can happen, depends if the F1 carries for it. I know that Diane of Epic Savannahs is hoping for them from her F1 with her mel F5 boy from me... It's a recessive so if the breeder isn't using mel Savannahs then you have to hope both parents carry for it.

S

shelby

My F1 Rumor has produced some gorgeous F2 melanistics. We may have a litter on the way, but never know what we will be blessed with;>)

Sunny

Loyal Servant
Thanks Brigitte & Shelby!

There's hope, that's good. I have seen many gorgeous Rumor babies and Brigitte's offspring in other programs. :D

S

shelby

Thank you, Sunny;>) There is always hope......you will find that special baby if you are patient;>)

Trish Allearz

We might one day get mel babies, but they won't be F1s or F2s :) But we are blessed with a Brigitte girl ourself! (And boy- LOL- and grandson)..

S

shelby

Well..I knew Tarwga Deli F6 carried for melanism and I found out today that Izzy does also;>) We have 4 new F7SBTs...full siblings to Will..three gorgeous BSTs and a lucious little melanistic;>) All are doing quite well...nursing, sleeping and quiet as little mice...until mama tries to sneak out for a breather;>) As of yet I have not sexed them, but they are beautiful;>)