Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Minion, Cheese & Toes

kravenheart

Savannah Super Cat
Hey guys, sorry I havent posted anything in a while. I've been reading the forums from work, but I cant log in here or the work comps shut down the site.

So my question is this: Today Beth and I were making hamburgers when a slice of cheese fell on the floor. Minion ate about half of it before we found her. Is cheese safe for cats? Its made from milk, and she really liked it, but I dunno.

Also, despite all the help and advice, she wont give up biting, particularly toes while we sleep. We can't play rough with her or she winds up biting (not hard, shes not being malicious). But the worst is her attacking our feet while we sleep. We sleep with a air can now and spritz her whenever it wakes us up. However, she really isnt getting any better about it.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
It's great to see you again. The cheese is not a problem. I give my guys bits of various cheeses as snacks. Not too often though.

Have you tried playing hard with her prior to bedtime to burn off some energy so she doesn't go hunting that irresistible prey that moves around under the blankets? You can try asking Marilyn Krieger, cat behaviorist, if she has any ideas. My only contribution is to get her a playmate:big grin:

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think my plan would be to scruff her and remove her from the bedroom every time she woke me up by biting my toes, and shut the door on her. Don't EVER play on the bed with her, not even with wand toys. Even keep all toys and play out of your bedroom if necessary.

As suggested, a companion kitty might be a solution if possible...

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
Cheese? The defend your food fight breaks out every time the bag of cheese is put on the table. Loving cheese is an understatement.

kravenheart

Savannah Super Cat
Well, we work separate shifts, and I often play with her before going to bed, after Beth has already been sleeping for a while. It doesnt seem to affect the toe attaching, since she usually does that in the morning while we are both asleep.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I agree with Brigitte, I would shut her out of the room every time she attacked toes. It may be necessarily to permanently ban her from your room while you're sleeping, but with any luck she'll get the message with the temporary bans.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Every time we release kittens out into the household we go through some sleepless nights where the kittens decide that 3-4am should be kitty racetrack over our heads, or our feet must be pounced on etc. So we have to keep getting up and shutting them out...but almost always within the week they've worked out that the behavior gets them banished...and so they either join the others sleeping with us until we get up, or they leave the bed for playtime and come back again for naps later on...