Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

My F2's inexplicable urine/litter behavior

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think it worth checking out what Patti has suggested. I don't think it looks territorial to me and he obviously knows he needs to go to the litterbox... so very strange!

Myles

Savannah Super Cat
I think what Deborah is seeing that appears to be territorial marking is that he is standing up when he is urinating outside of the box (where it looks like he's crouching normally while in the box). I can see though that it looks like he is not crouching because he is not purposely urinating, it is just dribbling out of him. It seems to me there must be something physically wrong for this to be occurring. I'm afraid I can't remember but I assume that your vet has examined him thoroughly. Incontinence can sometimes be treated with medication, depending on the underlying cause, here is one article discussing the possible options (if you haven't seen it already): http://www.threenotch.com/FAQRetrieve.aspx?ID=55576

Hi Patti,

I'll give the vet a try on that. Incontinence hadn't even crossed my mind (since it's not like he just pee's anywhere like he can't hold it in), but that's a great suggestion. I've got him booked in for his annual in just over a month now, so I'll re-set his litter box back to the old (box + catching mat), and follow up with the vet on his annual.

MM3

Site Supporter
My kitty has had a similar situation only twice in a little more than a year and a half. She's in the box but doesn't squat, ends up standing up while she is in the box. Her box is in the master bathroom in the shower so it is a easy clean up. But what I think it is, is just like kids waits to long to pee and jumps in and no time to search for that perfect spot to to squat. She just pees.

Myles

Savannah Super Cat
Any word from the vet? I just read this whole thread and I'm so sorry to hear about all of this. Really hoping you can find a solution and that your boy is okay.

I pulled down the gate and put it in my front garden for now (it's painted and all), he's back to his hooded box (that I cut up, so it's not actually hooded, just 2' tall walls on 3 ends), his pine litter (because the other stuff was just gross), and his "pee mat" in front of it.

Dante has a vets appointment set for next Friday to discuss what we can do, hopefully pull him off valium, and onto something for incontinence (the receptionist did confirm they had medication based solutions for that, as opposed to surgical procedures that sounded a lot more risky).