Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Need gel ASAP for my stepson

admin

Paige
Staff member
Hopefully...they will have to give insulin twice a day if it is diabetes...at least, that is what I had to do. Let us know what happens.

Jacq

Savannah Super Cat
Actually, a raw diet has been known to cure diabetes. Cats normally get it from eating grains (cheap food) which their bodies are not equipped to process.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
If simple blood work has not been done yet that is where I would start. Who is saying diabetes and why? If he is losing weight it could also be lymphoma, cancer, or a multitude of other ailments. I understand that they need to be frugal but I would start with blood work (CBC, CMP, thyroid) and an x-ray, then depending on what those revealed decide what more needs to be done.

Marissa

Savannah Super Cat
It was just an idea we came
Up with, we did also think that it could be cancer related. We spoke to the mother earlier and he's schedules to go in and they are going to do blood tests.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think you've mentioned he has been to the vet a few times already? When the vet listened to the heart did he hear anything concerning? It seems all the vet has suggested is diet change which might point to diabetes or even kidney failure but imho a raw diet will help both conditions more than any other brand of cat food... as Patti says just basic blood work might tell a lot here...

Marissa

Savannah Super Cat
I'm not very sure what the vet recommended besides the food, or how severe he was, they did schedule him a check up appt, I'm not sure if he had listened to the heart, I think if they had listened someone would have mentioned if it sounded irregular.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Sometimes the vet only gives a cursory hearing...but if the cat is panting, I would want to encourage the vet to listen carefully... I think I read that you said the cat was panting?