Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Need help with my savannah kitten!! Please

Brittani

Savannah Child
Being an "only child" will not necessarily affect him. Having play mates will help him to develop his kitty skills but not keep him ant social. Being without his mama will be the most traumatic thing for him. I think he is fine. Not ALL kittens are love bugs immediately. Usually, by the end of 2 weeks they are well situated in their new home. Since he does lap sit after a warning growl and hiss, I think all will be fine. Remember he is a baby, and has had his world turned upside down. He's just scared and unsure. Just give him gentle love.
I have been fortunate with 2 of mine. They bonded almost immediately. My oldest was a retired breeder and was very unsocial. It has taken me over a year to win her over. Now she is my girl, even though she is terrified of the other 2 cats.
That is good to know. We just put him back in his room and we shut the door and he started meowing. Should I leave him alone?
This is off subject but what is a good cat litter to use?

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
I would not let him meow too much. He may be scared. You might want to sleep with him a couple of nights so he gets used to you and his new home.
Whatever litter he will use and that YOU like. Mine like Fresh Step.

Brittani

Savannah Child
I would not let him meow too much. He may be scared. You might want to sleep with him a couple of nights so he gets used to you and his new home.
Ok thank u for the tip. He seems like everytime I go in there he starts growling and hissing at me. I turned on the closet light on so its so totally dark in the room is that okay?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Hi Brittani and welcome to the forum. Please remember that Lincoln is just a tiny baby and has been ripped away from everything that he has known his entire life and plopped down in this strange place with strange noises and strange smells. Of course he is going to be scared. Patience will be your most important tool - patience to allow him to settle in, to become comfortable with his new surroundings, and to learn that he can trust you.

I would not force him to do anything right now - as others have said, let him come to you. The more you go after him (regardless of how gentle you think you are being) the more you will potentially push him away. Two weeks is a generalization - some kittens come around after a few days, others take much longer than two weeks. Being that he was so young when he left his home, I am guessing that it may very well take longer than two weeks to adjust, so don't hold him to a timeline that may be unreasonable. Find a wand toy that he enjoys playing with and engage him in that way. Find a snack that he is particularly crazy for (many love freeze dried chicken) and give him frequent treats.

Growling and hissing is just his way of showing his fear, it is not at all a sign of aggression, so again just be patient with him and he will eventually come around to you.

Brittani

Savannah Child
He started to meow a lot so I took your advice. I am laying on the floor on his room as I am typing this. he stop meowing and went to sleep

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
He is afraid. You calm him. He just wants someone close. Patti explained it very well. She is a Savannah breeder and gives great advise. Stay close to him.