Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

New baby is NOT happy.

M

MK Anderson

I'm sure he is just scared, Tara. He has been taken away from everything familiar to him. And it doesn't matter how he behaved at the breeder's...I'm sure he is a confident, awesome boy...but imagine someone taking you from the only home you have ever known, putting you in a strange machine (car) and then taking you on a long ride, and then you find yourself in a place that is not home...a strange place with strange smells, strange people and strange things...

He is just a baby and many kittens, regardless of how well socialized, will revert to being scared and protecting themselves. I can't imagine how scared he must be...

Everyone has suggested some wonderful ways of helping him not to be so scared and I'm sure he will be fine.

Well said Paige! this is what I was trying to say LOL! I have a cat that is very loving in my home, good boy, but if he leaves my home he flips out! growls, hisses, hides, and cant touch him. My home is all he has known since he was 7weeks old. I know in time he would come around!

Tara

Savannah Super Cat
Well said Paige! this is what I was trying to say LOL! I have a cat that is very loving in my home, good boy, but if he leaves my home he flips out! growls, hisses, hides, and cant touch him. My home is all he has known since he was 7weeks old. I know in time he would come around!
Well, good sign this morning. He's in my closet instead of under the bed. And he let hubby scratch his ears just a bit. No growling! No purring yet either, but hey it's a step. :)

M

MK Anderson

Thanks good news, Tara:)

I wouldn't worry or stress over it, Tara! He will come around, I think hes just scared!!!

F/3

Savannah Super Cat
Simba hid under the bed for a week. I took the week off and spent 20 hours a day in his room. Just laying there playing on my iPad, talking to him. He cried for the whole week. I thought I had mad a huge mistake getting him. All is well now.
It was a rough week.

J.B.

Savannah Super Cat
Titus was meeeeaaaan when he first came to me. And i had him quarantined in my bedroom but he would just hide under everything. Even after a week he still pretty much hated me. So i switched his quarantine zone to the bathroom and it made a TON of difference! After 3 days he was much calmer and nicer to me. I think that because bedrooms have so much space the kittens dont really have to be near you, and they can hide under everything and then hate you more when you try to get them to come out. Maybe it was just Titus, but perhaps a smaller quarantine zone?

Tara

Savannah Super Cat
Simba hid under the bed for a week. I took the week off and spent 20 hours a day in his room. Just laying there playing on my iPad, talking to him. He cried for the whole week. I thought I had mad a huge mistake getting him. All is well now.
It was a rough week.

I almost wish he would cry. He's totally silent, except when he's growling at me. Which is every time he sees me.