Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

New kitten, maybe savannah?

Hi everyone! I came upon this forum in hopes that I can get some answers on whether or not my new kitten is part savannah.
We recently adopted a kitten, Miley. The papers say DSH but after about a week of having her (she was exactly 8 weeks old when we got her, she is now 4.5 months) I started thinking maybe she wasn't a regular cat. Upon researching further, I started to think she was bengal, at least half. The first thing I noticed was her fur. She has this fur that just shines, almost like we put baby oil on her fur, and her back legs were so much longer than the front.. almost like a rabbit. Then came her vocals. She makes these weird noises, like chattering. And when she meows, she MEOWS lol... it's loud and long. And she does these short random high pitch purrs.. like when you catch a cat off guard and they make that startled purr.. if that makes sense.
After about a week after, we ended up getting another kitten. Miley was making all these noises and meowing, I thought she was bored so I got her a friend. First thing we noticed was the size difference. Only about a week and a half apart in age, Miley was noticeably bigger. We didn't realize how much she grew. She also climbs up our curtains and will jump ridiculous lengths for her size and age.
Another thing she does is play fetch. She learned after just a few times and we weren't even trying to teach her, she just started bringing this one mouse back so we can throw it again. She is now 4.5 months and she has already gone in heat. I've never had a kitten like her and do the things she does. On a bengal facebook page, someone suggested she may be part savannah and not bengal. I've never heard of savannah cats before but when I started looking into them, I can definitely see some similarities. Hoping maybe I can get some answers on what she may be.. She very well could be just a tabby cat

The first pic is Miley (on the right) and the nala, who is only about a week and a half younger than miley.

The second is both miley taken only a month apart

third is the her markings

The last one was taken about 2 weeks ago @ 4 months.

Attachments

• 20170612_121739.jpg
    20170612_121739.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 41
  • 20170704_213728.jpg
    20170704_213728.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_20170807-193203.png
    Screenshot_20170807-193203.png
    1 MB · Views: 40
  • 20170805_224907.jpg
    20170805_224907.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 39

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I'm not seeing a lot that suggests Savannah, except her ears are nicely set on top of her head. I do think I see a twinkle of mischief in her eyes though. Is she polydactyl?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
She doesn't look like any known polydactyl breed that I am aware of, possibly a non-standard Highland Lynx... she sure is a cutie though!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think that whatever your kitten is, it is a mix of many breeds...there's nothing that fits all of a breed really. She has a domestic shorthair coat and face, but the polydactyl paws suggest some Pixiebob in the heritage. In some of the pics the ears look larger, but it is the angle of the photograph as the picture of her looking straight in the camera her ears are average size and set.

When you adopt a kitten from a shelter and they tell you a kitten is 8 weeks old, realize that this is an estimate only. Unless the kitten was born at the shelter, they are only guessing at the age of a kitten when it is received there. So your one kitten might be older and the other younger, so they may in fact end up similar sizes. But even the domestic shorthair population has variation in size... so it is hard to say that because one kitten is larger than another it must be a specific breed, particularly as with female Savannahs they generally are NOT larger than the average cat.

Do you know why someone suggested she might be part Savannah?

I think that whatever your kitten is, it is a mix of many breeds...there's nothing that fits all of a breed really. She has a domestic shorthair coat and face, but the polydactyl paws suggest some Pixiebob in the heritage. In some of the pics the ears look larger, but it is the angle of the photograph as the picture of her looking straight in the camera her ears are average size and set.

When you adopt a kitten from a shelter and they tell you a kitten is 8 weeks old, realize that this is an estimate only. Unless the kitten was born at the shelter, they are only guessing at the age of a kitten when it is received there. So your one kitten might be older and the other younger, so they may in fact end up similar sizes. But even the domestic shorthair population has variation in size... so it is hard to say that because one kitten is larger than another it must be a specific breed, particularly as with female Savannahs they generally are NOT larger than the average cat.

Do you know why someone suggested she might be part Savannah?

I think she had mentioned part savannah because of her markings on her back.. She has them on her belly too. I'll upload a pic.

She was born outside, a foster had found them so her birth date is only off a day or 2 at most. She is the only one that lived.

There was another breed that came up when savannah did.. I can't remember but it started with 'Egyptian'

Attachments

• 20170610_122444.jpeg
    20170610_122444.jpeg
    107.9 KB · Views: 28

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Her markings are typical of any brown spotted tabby, although I love that spotted belly photo!! :love:

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Yes, as Patti says, her spotting is the same as any brown spotted tabby... which occurs in many cat breeds as well as plain domestic shorthair/longhairs.