Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

New kitten.

K

KIM

My new baby Stark is starting to acclimate slowly but surely. He is a shy kitten. Sometimes when he feels a bit nervous he jumps into his litter box for cover. And then he stays in there for a bit. He has a bed he loves but he still does this sometimes. Any advice on getting him to stop this. Also any opinions on the comfort zone pheromone spray to ease his nervousness. Good or bad. I never heard of this thing till a week ago. Thanks everyone!!

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Provide him with an alternate hidey hole to the litter box -- a cardboard box or a solid sided crate. Some people have had great success with pheromone sprays, calming collars, and oils. I've tried them all and none of them worked for me.

K

KIM

We got him a bed and he really likes it, and it also has his mommys blanket in there. You think a box in addition would help?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Yes, if he's jumping into his litterbox he feels the need for something enclosed to feel secure...so some sort of box with an opening, a covered crate etc...something that feels like a cozy cave for him :)

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Do you have a cat carrier? Put some toys in there plus lure him in with treats if he will take them from you. That is the best - nice safe area for kitten that is only for kitten plus it has the added bonus of having him associate the carrier with safety and security instead of just vet visits.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
If your litterbox is covered, uncover it. Then put his carrier in the room so that he will use that when he feels the need to hide. The pheromone diffusers work great for some cats, others don't seem effected at all. You can certainly try it and see, but bottom line is he just needs time and patience to adjust to his new home.