Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

New savannah owner here!

SV Dad

Site Supporter
Wow! Those ears!
Like Rafiki said, more pictures!
(And belly spot pictures for the belly freaks around here. I'm an ear freak.)

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Here are some pics of Luci!
From some of the pics it looks a though she has convergent strabismus. If that is the case, it is caused either by injury, birth defect, or it can be an inherited trait. If it's an inherited trait, the breeder shouldn't continue breeding the parents since this is not an acceptable savannah trait.

Sometimes crossed eyes occur with vestibular disease which affects the inner ear and can cause dizziness. Keep an eye on her as she grows and if she exhibits dizziness, excessive clumsiness (keeping in mind that SVs are pretty darn clumsy, especially as kittens), fear of heights, circling in one direction, talk to your vet. There isn't much that can be done about vestibular disease (one of my F2s has it), but episodes can be accompanied by nausea and that can be treated. Cats who are having dizzy episodes should be confined where they can't hurt themselves until the dizziness passes.

Rob1984

Savannah Super Cat
From some of the pics it looks a though she has convergent strabismus. If that is the case, it is caused either by injury, birth defect, or it can be an inherited trait. If it's an inherited trait, the breeder shouldn't continue breeding the parents since this is not an acceptable savannah trait.

Sometimes crossed eyes occur with vestibular disease which affects the inner ear and can cause dizziness. Keep an eye on her as she grows and if she exhibits dizziness, excessive clumsiness (keeping in mind that SVs are pretty darn clumsy, especially as kittens), fear of heights, circling in one direction, talk to your vet. There isn't much that can be done about vestibular disease (one of my F2s has it), but episodes can be accompanied by nausea and that can be treated. Cats who are having dizzy episodes should be confined where they can't hurt themselves until the dizziness passes.

not sure you will be able to answer this but i was curious the early pictures of the kitten the kittens eyes don't look crossed to me but in those pics they do like does a cat just wake up with crossed eyes one day or ? usually born with it ? but u you said an injury can cause crossed eyes? never knew that

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
not sure you will be able to answer this but i was curious the early pictures of the kitten the kittens eyes don't look crossed to me but in those pics they do like does a cat just wake up with crossed eyes one day or ? usually born with it ? but u you said an injury can cause crossed eyes? never knew that
Injury to the nerves going to the eye muscles can cause a cat to become cross-eyed. I didn't know that either until I started doing research on vestibular disease when my cat was diagnosed. Considering how many times my crew slammed into walls and other hard objects when they were kittens, I'm surprised none of them are cross-eyed.