Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Newly developed aversion to raw

Sunny

Loyal Servant
What about mixing up some quality wet with the raw instead of the go-to kibble? As soon as you leave the toy empty for a couple of days he should be more anxious for meals, provided you're not trying to force him to eat the raw which would starve the little guy. 1-2 hours before regular meal time get him really wound up and using energy through interactive play and when it's time for dinner, try something new instead of the raw. No sneaking/cheating by slipping raw into it, get him eating regularly then try switching back to the raw so it's something "new" and go half raw, half wet.

John Popp

Site Supporter
What about mixing up some quality wet with the raw instead of the go-to kibble? As soon as you leave the toy empty for a couple of days he should be more anxious for meals, provided you're not trying to force him to eat the raw which would starve the little guy. 1-2 hours before regular meal time get him really wound up and using energy through interactive play and when it's time for dinner, try something new instead of the raw. No sneaking/cheating by slipping raw into it, get him eating regularly then try switching back to the raw so it's something "new" and go half raw, half wet.
I've yet to be able to get any canned food or for that matter kibble (other than Royal Canin Kitten 36) into him without him having loose stools. Super gassy nasty ones as well. A variety of quality foods that I end up feeding to the other cats. Definitely ready to give something else a go as this isn't working too well at the moment.

Also, I guess I'm unsure of when you can pull on demand food from a kitten. The 8-10 hours a day that we are away seems like a long time for an 8 month old to be without any access to food which is why the egg has worked so well. Little did I suspect that he would start holding out for it only taking a few nibbles of the raw.

Oh well, maybe I need to ask Zoltar as well but I do appreciate the reply.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Can I thread jack quickly? Layla is 6 months old and weighs about 6.5 pounds, after being spayed I have noticed she doesn't eat much anymore. She went from 3 to 4 cans a day (3.5 oz) to now maybe 2.5 cans a day with hardly any kibble. Is this normal?
Sam that is pretty normal...not to worry! in a way it is better that she is not eating so much, this way she doesn't put on weight too quickly!

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
John, you said earlier that there's pumpkin in the other cats' food he's attracted to and coupled with what you've said about loose stools with some other foods, there's a possibility that he has Irritable Bowell Syndrome or Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Might be something to discuss with the vet. The pumpkin would help with pooping and digestion. Maybe try giving him 1/4 of a Pepcid at night to see if it helps his appetite. It helped my IBD kitty a lot and was vet recommended.

Sunny

Loyal Servant
You will have to experiment with types of canned as they are not all the same. You can supplement fiber pretty easily with something you know he likes but the stools you don't. As mentioned before, should not be runny and gassy on every kind of wet if everything in there is normal. :)

John Popp

Site Supporter
Thanks again for giving me some more to think about. I'll try mixing up some of the other cats food in with his and see where that gets me. I really think it's the fat content he likes with the others food, not necessarily the pumpkin. That would also make sense as why he likes the duck with it's higher fat content.

Come to think of it I have seen some things on the breeders site mentioning some of their kittens with a sensitive stomach and being on a duck and pea diet. I bet that looks real appetizing.

Anyway, lots of stuff to try here and if I change more than one variable a week I won't ever track it down. Could be that he's just being a fussy teenager about what he wants to eat. Never had any GI issues with raw, be it turkey, rabbit, chicken or duck, just other types of kibble and anything out of a can. Of course he likes some raw a lot better than others, but at least it wasn't fermenting in his belly.

Thanks again for the suggestions.