Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Over grooming

Sean

Site Supporter
Hi,
I have a bit of a problem or more so Mokkun does.
Bella (2yo female F1) is over grooming Mokkun (18Mo male F7)
Mokkun seems to like it. He is missing his whiskers and some
belly fur His brother Tetsu does not let her do this to him.

Any ideas as to what I can do to get her slow down a bit?
The last 2 nights he has been in my room with me over night
and is not as red on the belly and around the ears. I try to
get her attention if I see her grooming him.

Thanks
Sean

Trish Allearz

I have no advice, sadly, but I can't wait to hear what others suggest! Besides distraction, but it's kinda hard to always be on alert for over grooming!

Medesha

Savannah Super Cat
I've read if you put stuff like bitter apple on The cat in the areas that he or another cat seem intent on removing the fur from, that should dissuade them...

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I believe Brigitte used something that was effective when she had this problem. I've had a couple of moms overgroom their kittens, but only one that actually disfigured a kitten - she was literally chewing off parts of his ears. I tried to early wean at five weeks but he became very ill so I finally decided on close supervision until he was eating solids on his own and I could safely wean him.

I have heard of a couple of options since then, such as bitter apple (which would probably be painful going on raw skin) or liquid bandage, which might help protect the area. The only other option I know is to find something to distract Bella so that she will give her attention to something other than Mokkun.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I did have a queen that over-groomed her babies and what I got that seemed to work well was http://www.tomlyn.com/pr_d_allercaine.html. Just thankful that her overgroomed baby (Nadiya) has not at all needed to do the same to HER babies!

I'd not put it on your F7 near the mouth to stop your F1 taking the whiskers though, as that would be horrible for the F7 to be tasting. It's not going to be nice for your F7 on the belly either as likely he does groom himself too. But maybe on the ears and that would give your F1 a negative association with licking his ears hopefully! Good luck!

Sean

Site Supporter
Allercaine™

Says on there website in red letters

This product is not for use on cats.

So do you still use it of what?
Sean

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I'm not sure what you are asking.... as I posted, I did use it in the past with no ill-effects. I also used Biocaine which is made by the same company.

S

shelby

Hi,
I have a bit of a problem or more so Mokkun does.
Bella (2yo female F1) is over grooming Mokkun (18Mo male F7)
Mokkun seems to like it. He is missing his whiskers and some
belly fur His brother Tetsu does not let her do this to him.

Any ideas as to what I can do to get her slow down a bit?
The last 2 nights he has been in my room with me over night
and is not as red on the belly and around the ears. I try to
get her attention if I see her grooming him.

Thanks
Sean
I would seperate them for a few days and allow no contact. Cats are creatures of habit.She is probably grooming him around the same time every day. They easily get in a comfort zone and the habit is born. Once the period of not seeing each other...I would rub pure vanilla flavoring on his areas she is grooming(if there are no raw areas). It is bitter and a few licks may just make her realize that the grooming is better left to him;>) Good luck;>)