Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Pacing Savannah queen

Kiangagirl

Savannah Super Cat
I have a new F1 Savannah queen---had her about a month now. Sometimes (like tonight, for example) she paces through the house for hours on end. She goes back and forth in front of my sliding glass patio doors, sometimes even the glass oven door. She reminds me of a stall-weaving horse when she does this. I'm really at a loss to guess what is causing her to do this. She is tame and friendly, seems fairly comfortable here most of the time except when she starts the pacing.

She was supposedly bred before she was delivered to me. I remember the seller telling me that she did some crazy restless behavior just before giving birth to her last litter. The thing is, I had my vet examine her and she couldn't feel any babies. She supposedly was due on March 31st or thereabouts, but she doesn't show any outward signs of being pregnant. She isn't even pinked up. On the other hand, she hasn't come into heat either so I don't know what's going on.
Any comments would be welcome---BTW I plan to take her in for an ultrasound later in the week just to be sure.

S

shelby

I have a new F1 Savannah queen---had her about a month now. Sometimes (like tonight, for example) she paces through the house for hours on end. She goes back and forth in front of my sliding glass patio doors, sometimes even the glass oven door. She reminds me of a stall-weaving horse when she does this. I'm really at a loss to guess what is causing her to do this. She is tame and friendly, seems fairly comfortable here most of the time except when she starts the pacing.

She was supposedly bred before she was delivered to me. I remember the seller telling me that she did some crazy restless behavior just before giving birth to her last litter. The thing is, I had my vet examine her and she couldn't feel any babies. She supposedly was due on March 31st or thereabouts, but she doesn't show any outward signs of being pregnant. She isn't even pinked up. On the other hand, she hasn't come into heat either so I don't know what's going on.
Any comments would be welcome---BTW I plan to take her in for an ultrasound later in the week just to be sure.
One thing that stands out is...you saying she paced in front of glass. She sees her reflection would be my guess. She probably thinks there is another cat in ther somewhere.I may be wrong, but it sounds like she is the only cat in the house.If she was kept in a small enclosure(before coming to you) the pacing could be a learned behavior...due to boredom. They need enrichment and without it comes many habits.As far as coming into heat...she may be one of those females that only comes into heat a few times a year. How old is she? From what I am understanding from your email...she has had previous litters. Just for your peace of mind...I would have her examined by the vet. A month is not a long time to have had her. I am sure she is still settling in(it takes time). Let us know what the vet tells you and good luck with your new queen;>)

F1hybrids

Savannah Super Cat
I know servals will pace some times no matter what you give them. I agree with Shelby and it also could be a OC behavior from stress too. But if I had to guess, you girl is still getting over the move. It will take a while before an F1 settles down, if she settles down at all. I've had a female that was sweet as pie but you move them and it mess up there limbo in life I swear it.

If she has had other litters you can find out with TICA.

I suggest try moving her to another area see if she is more content. Start OC habits. Like clicker training, something every day she knows you will be doing. Even as little as moving around toys once a day at the same time. That way you establish a bond through pattern.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
And then it could simply be normal behavior. Crepuscular animals are most active at dawn & dusk. My guys pace from approx. 6-9 p.m. depending on the season. It is a mechanism for releasing hunting energy similar to the midnight crazies. Blows off extra steam.

Kiangagirl

Savannah Super Cat
One thing that stands out is...you saying she paced in front of glass. She sees her reflection would be my guess. She probably thinks there is another cat in ther somewhere.I may be wrong, but it sounds like she is the only cat in the house.If she was kept in a small enclosure(before coming to you) the pacing could be a learned behavior...due to boredom. They need enrichment and without it comes many habits.As far as coming into heat...she may be one of those females that only comes into heat a few times a year. How old is she? From what I am understanding from your email...she has had previous litters. Just for your peace of mind...I would have her examined by the vet. A month is not a long time to have had her. I am sure she is still settling in(it takes time). Let us know what the vet tells you and good luck with your new queen;>)
Hi and thanks for the response. She isn't the only cat in the house---I have a total of seven cats although not all of them are in the house at the same time. According to her seller, she was never caged. I remember her telling me that if I confine her to an enclosure she will pace though, so I don't know what to think. Unfortunately I hardly ever got the same story twice from her so I won't be buying anything from her again. According to the seller, she has had two previous litters, no survivng kittens. (I know, I know, I took a big risk but I like her sister so much....). I'm hoping it's just settling-in or prey drive jitters. Will keep you posted.

Kiangagirl

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks for the response. I agree with you---cats don't like change and especially F1s are sensitive. It doesn't help that she is nearly three years old, not a kitten. Fortunately my home is relatively quiet, not a lot of commotion going on so hopefully she will settle in. She's so darned beautiful, plus she carries the snow gene like her sister. I'm so hoping she will feel at home before too long.

Wyldthingz

Savannah Super Cat
And then it could simply be normal behavior. Crepuscular animals are most active at dawn & dusk. My guys pace from approx. 6-9 p.m. depending on the season. It is a mechanism for releasing hunting energy similar to the midnight crazies. Blows off extra steam.

I have a few girls that pace down to the F6 generation and I have my whole back yard enclosed so they have 150 feet to run and play. Two in particular are pacers and I think it is just a wild-behavior trait and they do this regardless of the space they have to romp, similar to caged tigers. If she is happy and well adjusted, then I wouldn't worry about it. Both of my major pacers I have had since kittens and they are very well adjusted and at ease otherwise.

Savannahs (like Border Collies) have lots of restless energy and they may have some odd ways of releasing it but it doesn't mean they are unhappy. My borders thought of all sorts of weird things to do when they were not working sheep. In my opinion, if it isn't harmful or destructive, that it is a good thing.

Kiangagirl

Savannah Super Cat
I have a few girls that pace down to the F6 generation and I have my whole back yard enclosed so they have 150 feet to run and play. Two in particular are pacers and I think it is just a wild-behavior trait and they do this regardless of the space they have to romp, similar to caged tigers. If she is happy and well adjusted, then I wouldn't worry about it. Both of my major pacers I have had since kittens and they are very well adjusted and at ease otherwise.

Savannahs (like Border Collies) have lots of restless energy and they may have some odd ways of releasing it but it doesn't mean they are unhappy. My borders thought of all sorts of weird things to do when they were not working sheep. In my opinion, if it isn't harmful or destructive, that it is a good thing.
Thank you that makes me feel better.