Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Panacur

It is pink/red blood and very small spots. There have never been any visible worms in his stool at all. The vet gave it to me as a "just in case" dose. He was diagnosed with coccidia and giardia a couple weeks ago and has finished both rounds of medicine for those.
The poor guy! My prescription is for lots of TLC, administered as required.

Per Lausund

Staff member
Hi, all!
No, I don´t mind people chiming in on this one, often that even gives additional info, and I certainly don´t have a monopoly on, or all, the answers.
Panacur, or fenbendazol, is one of the safest products I know of, and very rarely causes any side-effects on its own provided you´re in the region of the approved dose (usually given as 50-75 mg/kg cat for two or three days, but this may vary with where you are and parasitic load: your vet knows this). Cats tolerate much higher doses.
I am not sure why you are getting diarrhoea with blood in it when using Panacur, but one reason may be the effect it has on the parasites, killing them and thus upsetting the balance that is supposed to be in the intestine. You mentioned cow-pat-like faeces and earlier giardia and coccidia: maybe a revisit to those is in place, you can easily get reinfections with them. I´d definitely go for a new check-up, and get some faecal sampling done for your vet to inspect. If it´s all gooey and liquid, get a syringe to draw it up with, and preferably not from the litter-box if its got clumping litter in it!
Apart from that, probiotics with lactobacillus in it never hurts (usually does good), and TLC always helps. Also, remember to make sure the furry thing gets enough water/fluid, and sometimes a short break in feeding helps (the intestinal wall/mucosa needs about 36 hours rest to reform/regrow/mend) followed by probiotics and incremental doses of food until normal amounts are given. But you really need to retest for parasites!
Good luck, and keep us all up to date!
:)
Per

Paul B

Sorte
The vet prescribes 2.9mls of the paste a day for 5 days. Sorte has had 3 fecal float tests which is where the coccidia and giardia was diagnosed and he just had a full diarrhea panel done and came back negative for everything except a minor virus that should just run its course. He has never tested positive for worms of any sort, so I'm still not sure why they would prescribe this for him. Should I still be giving him the Panacur if he hasn't even come up positive for worms?

So you are recommending a little over a day of no food to help his stomach sort things out? Is there something else you can recommend to give him with the lactobacillus? I give him s[mall amounts of plain greek yogurt once a day to give him some probiotics, but maybe there is something different I should give him?

He drinks a good amount of water so I'm not too worried about that. I have 3 water dishes around the house for him to sip off of.

Thank you so much for the response as again, his vet is on vacation until mid next week, so any help is appreciated.

S

shelby

Hi, all!
No, I don´t mind people chiming in on this one, often that even gives additional info, and I certainly don´t have a monopoly on, or all, the answers.
Panacur, or fenbendazol, is one of the safest products I know of, and very rarely causes any side-effects on its own provided you´re in the region of the approved dose (usually given as 50-75 mg/kg cat for two or three days, but this may vary with where you are and parasitic load: your vet knows this). Cats tolerate much higher doses.
I am not sure why you are getting diarrhoea with blood in it when using Panacur, but one reason may be the effect it has on the parasites, killing them and thus upsetting the balance that is supposed to be in the intestine. You mentioned cow-pat-like faeces and earlier giardia and coccidia: maybe a revisit to those is in place, you can easily get reinfections with them. I´d definitely go for a new check-up, and get some faecal sampling done for your vet to inspect. If it´s all gooey and liquid, get a syringe to draw it up with, and preferably not from the litter-box if its got clumping litter in it!
Apart from that, probiotics with lactobacillus in it never hurts (usually does good), and TLC always helps. Also, remember to make sure the furry thing gets enough water/fluid, and sometimes a short break in feeding helps (the intestinal wall/mucosa needs about 36 hours rest to reform/regrow/mend) followed by probiotics and incremental doses of food until normal amounts are given. But you really need to retest for parasites!
Good luck, and keep us all up to date!
:)
Per
Per...you are so kind to give your HO on these problems that come up.Coming from anexpert I know it makes Paul feel better;>) I know everyone appreciates your help;>) Shelby

Per Lausund

Staff member
The vet prescribes 2.9mls of the paste a day for 5 days. Sorte has had 3 fecal float tests which is where the coccidia and giardia was diagnosed and he just had a full diarrhea panel done and came back negative for everything except a minor virus that should just run its course. He has never tested positive for worms of any sort, so I'm still not sure why they would prescribe this for him. Should I still be giving him the Panacur if he hasn't even come up positive for worms?

So you are recommending a little over a day of no food to help his stomach sort things out? Is there something else you can recommend to give him with the lactobacillus? I give him s[mall amounts of plain greek yogurt once a day to give him some probiotics, but maybe there is something different I should give him?

He drinks a good amount of water so I'm not too worried about that. I have 3 water dishes around the house for him to sip off of.

Thank you so much for the response as again, his vet is on vacation until mid next week, so any help is appreciated.
When I have a cat with runny stools I give it a 36 hr rest from food (it gets water, though!), and the use yoghurt or something similar to get it started (so there we fully agree!). Usually works, too, but several times a day will not harm him! Giving the intestinal lining time to renew itsel is often helpful.
Seems you have done all the tests you should, but I would advise you to do as your vet has said, I´m sure there is good reasoning behind it. And always remember the possibility of reinfection.
Good luck!
p

K

Kronos

I just wanted to chime in and say that both my cats have had Panacur and it did not result in diarrhea. Also Kronos had soft stool and blood in it for what seemed like ages. Tested him for everything under the sun and they always came back negative. Magically one day his stool just got firm all on its own. Strange.