Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Persistent Right Aortic Arch

Per Lausund

Staff member
Get a barium swallow done on him. You can see Neala's xrays from her barium swallow here...

http://praakitten.homestead.com/PRAA.html
A barium swallow and an x-ray is a reasonably inexpensive way of diagnosing malformations/deformations in the gastrointestinal tract, but also remember that any bits that are perceived by the tummy as too large to digest will be vomited. This is physiological, and a reaction that has its background in cats not being munchers as much as choppers-into-bits when it comes to eating.
So your vet, Kiangagirl, seems sensible!

Kiangagirl

Savannah Super Cat
I hope it is something that simple :D always better then the alternative!
It turned out to be nothing at all! I think he was hungry because of being stubborn about eating more dry kibble. He would starve himself, waiting for the canned food, then gobble it down too fast and throw up. I changed their feeding schedule and let him go back to more canned food and he is just fine. I will gradually cut down on the canned food until he is only getting one meal of it each day. Thank you to everyone for the words of encouragement.

It turned out to be nothing at all! I think he was hungry because of being stubborn about eating more dry kibble. He would starve himself, waiting for the canned food, then gobble it down too fast and throw up. I changed their feeding schedule and let him go back to more canned food and he is just fine. I will gradually cut down on the canned food until he is only getting one meal of it each day. Thank you to everyone for the words of encouragement.
Hooray! Good job figuring it out and taking care of the little one!

admin

Paige
Staff member
Great news!!! Glad it was something so simple!

Trish, this is wonderful information to share, though I am very sorry it happened to you personally :( I had never heard of this condition before, so your sharing is not only informative, but heartfelt. Thank you!
I lost a kitten to this, it was heart breaking, she did not get large enough to even be considered for surgery. When Tirsh posted about Neala, I had that sinking feeling )-: I knew what it could be an told Trish, I just wish Neala had lived, she was a precious soul. My kitten's case was so severe that as Trish noted, she would regurgitate after nursing some and at warning it because very apparent something was amiss.

admin

Paige
Staff member
what a shame, Kristine! I had not heard of this before Trish explained it either, so I'm glad it has been brought tot he forefront...

what a shame, Kristine! I had not heard of this before Trish explained it either, so I'm glad it has been brought tot he forefront...
It was terrible. My little girl was spunky an had a black nosey, we (my vet and I) did everything we could to try and get her to a weight where surgery was possible, it just wasn't meant to be )-:

Yes, the minute Kristine told me about it, I was afraid that PRAA was definitely what Neala had. At least my little girl had a chance though- Kristine's little girl did not :( :(