Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Pilling a cat

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I think this is the more common experience ;):

1) Pick up cat and cradle it in the crock of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of the cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth, pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

2) Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.

3) Retrieve cat from bedroom and throw soggy pill away.

4) Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm while holding rear paws tightly with left hand Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.

5) Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Retrieve spouse from outside.

6) Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees. Hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold hear firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.

7) Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.

8) Wrap cat i large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible form below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.

9) Check label to make sure pill is not harmful to humans. Drink one beer to take taste away. Apply Band-Aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

10) Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill. Open another beer. Place cat in cupboard and close door on neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.

11) Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges. Drink beer. Fetch bottle of scotch. Pour shot of scotch and drink. Apply cold compress to cheek and check record for date of last tetanus shot. Apply whiskey compress to cheek to disinfect. Toss back another shot. Throw shirt away and fetch new on from bedroom.

12) Call fire department to retrieve cat from across the road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil wrap.

13) Tie the little &#^@'s front legs to rear legs with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table. Find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of steak. Be rough about it. Hold cat's head vertically and pour two pints of water down throat to wash pill down.

14) consume remainder of scotch. Get spouse to drive you to the ER. Sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home to order new table.

How To Give Your Dog A Pill

1) Wrap pill in bacon.

2) Toss it in the air.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Ha, Patti! That is exactly the cat-pilling method that came to my mind when I saw the title of the post...I am sure the one Paige posted is the correct or desired method, but the one you posted is the most likely to happen :lol:

Michaela

Savannah Super Cat
My baby SV takes it as a treat wrapped in pill poker or sprinkled with colostrum :) better then medicating my children .
The Bengal is another story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Michaela L

Krisbaker

Savannah Kitten
The best method I have found to pill a cat is to fill a syringe with about 2-3 cc if water. After you put the pill in follow with the water to encourage swallowing! It's very difficult for a cat to swallow pills because of their rough tongue that pushes the pill out. Try it with the water, I have found it to work miracles!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
That's a new one to me, but sounds like a great idea - I'll have to try it next time I have to pill a cat!

Kristin

Animal Communicator
This will be helpful as Zeddie and Tiger will both need to be pilled when they get home

Moggieslegacy

Savannah Super Cat
I got a good laugh from Patti's method...Thanks I needed that!

I am having to pill Moggie twice a day and the vet suggested I put the pill in his mouth and follow this up immediately with a 1 ml syringe of cream dribbled slowly into the side of his mouth. The first time I did this I wrapped Moggie to restrain him, which upset him 10 times more than having a pill popped in his mouth. But he LOVED the syringe of cream and remembered this came after the pill. I just did it again with no restraints, and with 1/2 of Moggies attention on the syringe of cream sitting beside me, popping in the pill without wrapping him was pretty easy. First I showed him the pill, let him sniff it and the syringe with cream and then put the syringe aside for a moment and popped in the pill. I think next time he will know the pill means a syringe of cream (the only time he ever gets this) and next time and he will be even more cooperative.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I got a good laugh from Patti's method...Thanks I needed that!

I am having to pill Moggie twice a day and the vet suggested I put the pill in his mouth and follow this up immediately with a 1 ml syringe of cream dribbled slowly into the side of his mouth. The first time I did this I wrapped Moggie to restrain him, which upset him 10 times more than having a pill popped in his mouth. But he LOVED the syringe of cream and remembered this came after the pill. I just did it again with no restraints, and with 1/2 of Moggies attention on the syringe of cream sitting beside me, popping in the pill without wrapping him was pretty easy. First I showed him the pill, let him sniff it and the syringe with cream and then put the syringe aside for a moment and popped in the pill. I think next time he will know the pill means a syringe of cream (the only time he ever gets this) and next time and he will be even more cooperative.

That's a good idea...i love it!