Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

PK Deficiency - What Is It and How Does it Affect Savannah Cats

Sonnenblume

Site Supporter
I agree, Jo, we may not know how many affected cats we have here in the US simply because many K/K (affected by the PK Deficiency) are asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic so it is missed. Cats hide their illnesses well so a mild anemia likely is just never detected.

Nevertheless, I think it good to educate about this and start getting testing results to get a picture of possibly how widespread it is here...
Testing & education is the only route to take (and as I said earlier, don't panic - this will achieve nothing).

Also if a cat was presented to a vet showing the symptoms of the illness, how many would correctly diagnose the possibility of the cat having PK Def, or diagnose and treat it for something different?

AundreaLea

Site Supporter
Article: Erythrocyte Pyruvate Kinase Deficiency mutation identified in multiple breeds of domestic cats
Homozygous cats that should have disease-associated presentations, such as splenomegaly, hemolytic anemia and increased osmotic fragility of erythrocytes, are not being actively reported by Bengal, Singapura and other breed owners to the veterinary community possibly owing to the fact that the disease can be episodic, mild and sub-clinical. In addition, the fact that expression of the disease phenotype is variable both in the age of onset and severity suggests that additional factors may be required to induce disease, such as stress and activity level. Never the less, the lack of presentation of sick cats is puzzling, prompting further investigation of the c.693+304G>A PK deficiency-associated SNP.

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1746-6148/8/207
(Full article)

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Testing & education is the only route to take (and as I said earlier, don't panic - this will achieve nothing).

Also if a cat was presented to a vet showing the symptoms of the illness, how many would correctly diagnose the possibility of the cat having PK Def, or diagnose and treat it for something different?

I had a cat recently present to the vets with extreme anemia, and PK Def was definitely on the board of possible diagnoses. They didn't think her bloodwork completely supported this, and her bone marrow results excluded this but I was interested that they mentioned it.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Article: Erythrocyte Pyruvate Kinase Deficiency mutation identified in multiple breeds of domestic cats
Homozygous cats that should have disease-associated presentations, such as splenomegaly, hemolytic anemia and increased osmotic fragility of erythrocytes, are not being actively reported by Bengal, Singapura and other breed owners to the veterinary community possibly owing to the fact that the disease can be episodic, mild and sub-clinical. In addition, the fact that expression of the disease phenotype is variable both in the age of onset and severity suggests that additional factors may be required to induce disease, such as stress and activity level. Never the less, the lack of presentation of sick cats is puzzling, prompting further investigation of the c.693+304G>A PK deficiency-associated SNP.

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1746-6148/8/207
(Full article)
Thanks so much, Aundrea!

Fertility issues both males and females may have also helped keep this in check for a while since many were placed as pets rather than breeders. Heck we used outcrosses for years as well so it's likely we saw few cases since we weren't doubling up on genes. I think it is a good thing to identify this now, while the breed is still fairly young, and we can work to eradicate the defective gene from our programs.

Ishani Birch

Savannah Super Cat
I called my vet, and apparently no lab in Canada does the test, if I wanted to get it done I would have to get the sample sent to the University of Pennsylvania or the University of Florida, and when the vet called the University of Pennsylvania, they said they have no test for Savannahs. How is everyone else doing these tests?

admin

Paige
Staff member
I called my vet, and apparently no lab in Canada does the test, if I wanted to get it done I would have to get the sample sent to the University of Pennsylvania or the University of Florida, and when the vet called the University of Pennsylvania, they said they have no test for Savannahs. How is everyone else doing these tests?
You can send to UC Davis...and the University of Penn does do the test - I don't know why they said they do not...

You can order the test here: https://www.vgl.ucdavis.edu/services/pkdeficiency.php

Ishani Birch

Savannah Super Cat
You can send to UC Davis...and the University of Penn does do the test - I don't know why they said they do not...

You can order the test here: https://www.vgl.ucdavis.edu/services/pkdeficiency.php
Thank you Paige! I'm not sure why they said that either, they said they do it for other breeds but that Savannahs are not one of them, and not known to be at risk of it, perhaps their information is outdated?