Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Playing in clean litter

maryannb6843

Savannah Super Cat
Whenever I change the litter Puma jumps into the litter box and rolls in the fresh litter then digs himself into it. He does this mainly with the fine sand litter which I like to use since there is very little tracking outside the box. He only does this with fresh clean litter. And although the litter is clean it still has a litter scent which he then smells of and carries throughout the house. Has anyone else had this problem?I'm thinking of changing to crystal litter but would first like any opinions of anyone who has or is using it.

admin

Paige
Staff member
All my kittens love to do this...just close the door when you change litter or as soon as you see him go to jump in when the litter has just been cleaned....IF he starts to play in it, take him out...it works for me with kittens...I would not do this with an adult cat.

Last edited:

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
as soon as you see him go to jump in, don't let him and tell him NO o_O

I think this could backfire. What if he really wants to go? I think being told "no" risks confusing him and he interprets it as being bad to go in the pan and chooses other places in the house. In addition to keeping him out of the room for awhile, you can keep a small piece of soiled litter or a small piece of poop and put it on top of the new stuff.

admin

Paige
Staff member
True....I forgot about that...I know that I take my kittens out when they play in the clean litter and all is ok...so I guess it just depends...how old is Puma?

Last edited:

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
maybe change to a litter you like the scent of? I think it is normal that they like to go and dig in it...and I have heard of cats rolling in fresh litter like they would dirt outside or something... I'd not want to discourage him from going to the box...

admin

Paige
Staff member
Just to be clear....I was not discouraging the kitten from ching to the litterbox...but when I change the litter and I have kittens around, they inevitably choke me and play and took in the litter....I take them out so I can finish what I am doing as long as they do not have to use the box...then they are free to go back...I have not had a problem with them playing in the litter...but if I am pouring litter in the box, I dont want to pour it on them...and yes, I do take them out of that are playing and no, I have never had an issue with any of my kittens then using the litterbox...

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
"On the next episode of Sand Fishing we go in search of the elusive brown eel." :big grin:

Episode 2 of Sand Fishing -- The brown eel silently lurks beneath a scant film of sand in the litterbox. Human enters the room and leans over the box. While the cat gleefully watches from a corner of the room, brown eel launches a malodorous cloud of noxious fumes at the human who reels back from the box and….tune in to episode 3.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
I don't think I've had a litter of kittens yet that did not roll around and play in the box when it is freshly changed out. I don't discourage the behavior and also don't worry they will ingest the litter...I use pine pellets even for the babies.