Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Playmate ?

Niels

Savannah Super Cat
I'm still deciding about getting a playmate for themba or not.
I like to hear the opinions of you experienced people.

This you need to take into consideration :

+ points =
* The other 3 ain't an active breed. a playmate will mean more playing fun for themba
* Themba will bother the other 3 less because he can play with someone who wants to play.
* considering how old they get and how long they stay active i would feel bad not giving him an active buddy.

- points = * It can also go the other way and 2 cats will try to play with the other cats more then 1 cat.
* Bliss is very scared of themba and doesn't come inside the house much. 2 new cats might scare her even more. the other cats do fine.
* Themba might play to wild with a young kitten (not sure about how kittens handle that)

What are your thoughts ?

admin

Paige
Staff member
Niels, IMO, savannah cats really need an active playmate, but...I do not live in your house, so have no way of knowing if it will work out...did you introduce Themba to Bliss properly? Although if Themba has a playmate he can actually play with, he may not scare Bliss so much...

I do not think Themba will play too roughly with a kitten, since he is still a kitten himself...and if he does, the new kitten will let him know it, most likely...

And I guess the other question is do you have a lot of vertical space and room for five cats?

Do you give Bliss some one on one attention?

Niels

Savannah Super Cat
Niels, IMO, savannah cats really need an active playmate, but...I do not live in your house, so have no way of knowing if it will work out...did you introduce Themba to Bliss properly? Although if Themba has a playmate he can actually play with, he may not scare Bliss so much...

I do not think Themba will play too roughly with a kitten, since he is still a kitten himself...and if he does, the new kitten will let him know it, most likely...

And I guess the other question is do you have a lot of vertical space and room for five cats?

Do you give Bliss some one on one attention?

I introduced them in little steps. first i made a vieuwing point between 2 rooms for a few days.
They looked alot at eachoter, then I put them together for short moments.
Important note : Bliss is scared of almost everything.
If you make loud noises of sudden movements she runs away.
She also Always walks around watching her back.
She is born here so i don't know what happened, no traumatic events that i know of.
Her brother used to attack her alot (play) so maybe she thinks behind every corner might be an attack.
Other then that she is very sweet loves to cuddle and sit on the lap.

Now at night she comes inside while themba s asleep with me, she also sometimes comes inside to eat.
I give her attention but on workdays that's not more then 5-10minutes a day.

The space is no problem at all. the outside cat proof garden is very big.
Themba has a smaller part of the garden. i split it up so the others can have some rest en themba doesn't have too much space.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Niels, I think a companion for Themba is a good idea if you can care for 5 cats. I strongly recommend getting a 12 to 16 wk old kitten this time -- a bit bigger and more confidence in the new cat will help ease your worries about Themba playing too hard with the new baby.

Niels

Savannah Super Cat
Niels, I think a companion for Themba is a good idea if you can care for 5 cats. I strongly recommend getting a 12 to 16 wk old kitten this time -- a bit bigger and more confidence in the new cat will help ease your worries about Themba playing too hard with the new baby.

Yes, i want it to go smooth.
This time i also can't take 1 week of holiday to isolate myself with the cat.

I still haven't decided on the breed.
I don't want to go for another high generation Savannah. 2 in short time is a little bit too expensive.

What are the other high energy breeds ?

I guess my chooses are : the lower generation Savannah, the bengal. Maybe somali's and abbesins ?
any others ?

Niels

Savannah Super Cat
i have already been looking but it's hard to find kittens of themba's age.
Most have already been sold by then.

I had my eye on 1 bengal female kitten that is today 11weeks and 2 days.
She's really nice looking but so is the price, higher then most bengal kittens.
Also she was only kitten. good thing about that is that she got all the attention of the breeders. bad thing is that she didn't had brothers sisters to play with and learn from.

Niels

Savannah Super Cat
Also another 23week old male got my attention. also bengal

edit : i just see this is very far away from me.