Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Preparing for an SV

Lil Demon's Mom

Savannah Super Cat
@Mantha Meow- Yep I live in the Metro area. I originally was going to go through the breeder you're referring to, but after research and talking to people on this forum I decided against going with that breeder. I just submitted an adoption application to a breeder in California (and am anxiously awaiting a response!). They came recommended and their website also had a vast amount of information that I'd previously had to dig and dig for about SVs.

Lil Demon's Mom

Savannah Super Cat
I am 100% against de-clawing and will leave it at that.
@Rafiki- I agree completely with you on declawing! My fur-baby will keep his claws and I will work with him using a scratching post. I'm just afraid of hurting my baby while trimming his nails. :( What type/brand of tool do you use to do your babies' nails? I will definitely look into those jackets, that video was hilarious! I can see how one of those would be better suited for a cat you're going to be taking outside. I've submitted my adoption application and am anxiously awaiting a response from the breeder, so hopefully I'll have a new baby by mid-April!

Lil Demon's Mom

Savannah Super Cat
The quarantine room can absolutely be your bedroom...mine was. It definitely makes bonding a lot easier, and is preferable than a room all to themselves. Awesome, thanks! I know it seemed like a stupid question, but when I do get an SV I want to do what is in his/her best interest. I feel like it will be easier for the new baby to be in my bedroom given that it is the one room of the house that is off-limits to the kids when the door is closed or blocked off with the baby gate (which gives the non-SV cat a refuge from everyone). I definitely want the new baby to sleep in my room after the quarantine period (should he/she chose to of course).

Lil Demon's Mom

Savannah Super Cat
Good luck! I hope you hear something positive very soon. If you think waiting for a response is bad, wait until you're waiting for your kitten to be ready to come home. Excruciating.
I know it'll be excruciating waiting for the new baby to come home! I am so excited about adding an SV to our family!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I've been doing a lot of research on the dietary needs of Savannahs, at this point I feel like when I am able to get my SV that I will be feeding a combo of wet & kibble. I need advice of which of them is the best for an SV. I've had several people recomend Royal Canin, Blue Buffalo, and Life's abundance. Do any of you use these or recommend any of these, if so which?
There are many high quality products available, my best advice is to read the ingredients and avoid anything that has 'filler' ingredients (e.g., grains, corn, etc.) in the first 4-5 ingredients listed.
We live in Oklahoma and want to leash train, but I can't seem to find anything about types and/or brands of leashs and harnesses are best suited for an SV. Any recommendations?
I have gotten jackets from a few different sources but I always fall back in Neta Doyal: http://www.joykatz.net/walking_jackets.htm
What about treats? I know that treats are great for working with an animal during training, but what types of treats are best?
My cat's absolute favorite treat is freeze dried chicken. This is a popular brand: http://www.amazon.com/Halo-Littles-Natural-Freeze-Dried-2-2-Ounce/dp/B00027CL5S
I've also read a lot about declawing, which personally I am against. I'm afraid to trim the baby's nails myself (for fear of hurting him/her) though, is this something that can easily and more importantly safely be done by a groomer or is it something that should be left to a vet?
Every cat can be different but if you start them young and do it consistently, e.g., every week or every two weeks, they should get used to it and be fine. Play with their feet on a daily basis, including unsheathing their nails so they get used to being handled in that way. Of course there are those demon cats that you absolutely can't clip even after putting them in a burrito role, and those are the ones that you can take to the vet to trim, usually for a nominal fee.
And lastly I feel like this is such a stupid question but, during the 14 day quarantine period... can the room they're placed in be an occupied bedroom? Or should it be a room that no one is in or rarely is?
If you mean occupied by other people, that would be ideal. The more interaction with people the faster the kitten/cat will bond with you. The quarantine period is to allow the kitten/cat time to settle in and bond with you before being introduced to a big, scary house and/or other strange cats/pets.
Any advice or recommendations are greatly appreciated!!

Rafiki

Site Supporter
@Rafiki- I agree completely with you on declawing! My fur-baby will keep his claws and I will work with him using a scratching post. I'm just afraid of hurting my baby while trimming his nails. :( What type/brand of tool do you use to do your babies' nails? I will definitely look into those jackets, that video was hilarious! I can see how one of those would be better suited for a cat you're going to be taking outside. I've submitted my adoption application and am anxiously awaiting a response from the breeder, so hopefully I'll have a new baby by mid-April!
Hi. I just use some basic nail clippers from Petco. http://www.petco.com/product/118820/Petco-Cat-Claw-Nail-Scissors.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch
I seldom clipped the nails of my previous cats so this was new to me as well. When Rafiki is at the end of her patience, she will put a paw on my mouth to let me know and we just cuddle a bit before continuing. While I cant say that she enjoys it, she definitely does not seem to mind. In addition, we have both vertical and horizontal scratch pads for her.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I actually use a (human) baby nail clipper for most of my cats, although it is not big enough for my F1s and some of my F2s, for them I need a (human) toenail clipper. I could never figure out how to use those pet clippers, I was always afraid I would snip the quick because I couldn't see well with them.

But hey - I found a GREAT use for pet clippers - opening a bottle of beer! I was recently in Harlingen, TX for the TICA board of directors meeting and my friend Robin and I picked up a six-pack of Corona then realized we didn't have a bottle opener. Well, those clippers of hers made short work of the bottle caps!!! :roflmao: :up:

Lesley

Site Supporter
I actually use a (human) baby nail clipper for most of my cats, although it is not big enough for my F1s and some of my F2s, for them I need a (human) toenail clipper. I could never figure out how to use those pet clippers, I was always afraid I would snip the quick because I couldn't see well with them.

But hey - I found a GREAT use for pet clippers - opening a bottle of beer! I was recently in Harlingen, TX for the TICA board of directors meeting and my friend Robin and I picked up a six-pack of Corona then realized we didn't have a bottle opener. Well, those clippers of hers made short work of the bottle caps!!! :roflmao: :up:
I agree. Human baby nail clipper has been the best option for us as well. Also, doing it when they are asleep. Our guys wake up, but they don't throw a fit like they would otherwise. Actually, I did Mala's nails the other day after she crawled into my lap ( had husband bring me the clippers). She looked at me a little funny but allowed all nails to be done.