Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Proof the cats own the place

moheesviolin

Savannah Child
Our cats are toilet trained, something that makes me and hubs very happy, although we sometimes have to explain things to guests.
So I was driving home from work and got caught in a bit of traffic. Finally get home and I'm standing in the elevator bouncing and rather...uncomfortable. I hurry down the hall, drop my bag, and make a bee-line for the bathroom. Just as I'm about the prepare to sit, Shiva monster opens the door, comes running in, and hops up on the toilet. He turns around a couple times and butt wiggles his way into taking a pee. As soon as he's done, he stares down into the toilet to check what he's done, scratches, walks the rim to the other side, turns around AGAIN, then takes his sweet time pooping. He turns around to look at his marvelous poo, hops down, and comes over to give me a head bump and a brrrttt while looking very pleased with himself.
We need a place with two bathrooms.

SlugMaster

Site Supporter
Our cats are toilet trained, something that makes me and hubs very happy, although we sometimes have to explain things to guests.
So I was driving home from work and got caught in a bit of traffic. Finally get home and I'm standing in the elevator bouncing and rather...uncomfortable. I hurry down the hall, drop my bag, and make a bee-line for the bathroom. Just as I'm about the prepare to sit, Shiva monster opens the door, comes running in, and hops up on the toilet. He turns around a couple times and butt wiggles his way into taking a pee. As soon as he's done, he stares down into the toilet to check what he's done, scratches, walks the rim to the other side, turns around AGAIN, then takes his sweet time pooping. He turns around to look at his marvelous poo, hops down, and comes over to give me a head bump and a brrrttt while looking very pleased with himself.
We need a place with two bathrooms.

At least two!

moheesviolin

Savannah Child
Yeah, I was able to hold it...very uncomfortably! We sooo need a place with more bathrooms, but we live in LA. And we're probably moving in Jan/Feb, so it's not really worth looking at a new apartment now. I've had cats in the past that were really picky about pooping in a litter box when there was another cat's poop in there, but they actually seem fine with the toilet. I've just had to explain to a guest that neither the hubs or I leave very small poop in the toilet, but the cats don't know how to flush!

BTW- what are people's thoughts on tranqs for moving? We'll probably have to take them on-board a plane, and I don't want them to be too stressed. I don't really like the idea of drugging them, but I know Shiva at least will freak and yowl.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Where are you moving to? I would not recommend sedating them for a plane trip, this can decrease their ability to regulate their temperature, depending on what agent you use, which could get them into trouble. If shipping them in cargo sedation is prohibited. If you are carrying them on they might make a fuss in the airport but typically once the plane has taken off they settle down. I think it's the lull of the engines. On rare occasion I've had a cat continue to cry after take-off but the plane is so loud it is usually not heard.

You can try a cat calming/pheromone collar: http://www.amazon.com/GOODbehavior-...1405711192&sr=8-2&keywords=cat+calming+collar

try spraying the carrier with Feliway: http://www.amazon.com/Comfort-Zone-...e=UTF8&qid=1405711242&sr=8-3&keywords=feliway

and/or try Rescue Remedy: http://www.amazon.com/Bach-LA-AM-FU...&qid=1405711283&sr=8-1&keywords=rescue+remedy

For any of these, I would trial them ahead of time to test for effectiveness prior to boarding the plane. Also, get your cats used to being in the carrier for several hours at a time. Put them in their carriers and take them for car rides... you don't have to be going anywhere, just drive them around so they get used to being in the carriers and moving. If you absolutely cannot settle Shiva using any other method you can consider sedation, but talk to your vet first about risks vs. benefits.

moheesviolin

Savannah Child
We're not entirely sure where we're moving to yet, hubs is a PhD that is just finishing up his postdoctoral work and is just staying to finish a couple papers and train the new postdoc. The top candidates for moving are SanFran, San Diego, Seattle, and Boston. San Diego would be just a drive, so no worries there.
We would have the cats as carry-on, I would never feel comfortable with them in the cargo hold. Poly, the DSH, does well enough in the carrier and car, just kind of hunkers down and occasionaly makes a little unhappy mew. But Shiva makes quite the fuss in the car, yowls and that weird hufffing hissy noise. He actually is leash-trained and likes little walks, but he despises the car.
I'll look into the natural remedies, do you think maybe one of those tight jacket type things would help?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Well, I know you don't have any proof that your rescue kitty is a Savannah but just FYI, Savannahs are illegal in Seattle (legal in other parts of WA), and only F4 or later are legal in Massachusetts (no idea if Boston has more stringent laws than that). Also, there is currently a push to make all hybrids illegal in CA but I'm not holding my breath that it will happen any time soon.

moheesviolin

Savannah Child
Yeah, fortunately his SPCA paperwork has him down as DSH, and while our vet expressed doubts about Shiva's DSH-ness, he also left the paperwork alone since we don't have proof and it may have caused trouble since in our city within LA they're also illegal. He's just a really tall, spotted DSH with big ears and model legs.