Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Pyo!

S

shelby

Lacy is doing much better! Her discharge is down to almost nothing and she is eating canned food again. She had a litter about 2 years ago and as far as I knew, she never went back in heat! She was bred when I got her, so I didn't know if she had silent heats or not. I will be putting her out to live with the male and hopefully she will get bred, then I will get her spayed.
Patty...watch her closely...open pyo can quickly change to closed pyo during treatment;>( I lost a female about 8 years ago because I thought all was going well during her treatment(doing everything the vet suggested). Everything seemed normal, but went all to H***. as long as the discharge is evident I think you are fine...just be extra watchful of the tummy swelling(due to the utererus closing and traping the infection inside) Continue the meds for quite a bit also.

Per Lausund

Staff member
Not much to add here, but remember that there is a drug called Alizin that is very helpful.
Pyo comes for the same reason cats come into heat and prepare the uterus to receive what are essentially foreign bodies: first the semen from the male, later (hopefully) the foetus. The probability of a female getting pyo varies, but it is a risk and you need to check carefully. Apart from the toxins absorbed from the infected uterus, dehydration and kidney failure are important components of pyo death. Aggressive antibiotic treatment with "anti-hormones" to stop the progestin effect (which keeps the uterus susceptible) will often help in cats, and are a very good alternative to spaying a breeder. Success rate is generally high.

Patty

Breeding Savannahs for the Home
Thanks Shelby. I am keeping a watch on her and she so far, knock on wood, is doing ok. She lost weight because she wouldn't eat, but she is eating now. I will take her in to be spayed shortly. Just didn't want to have to do it while this was going on as they would have charged me an arm and a leg!

Sonnenblume

Site Supporter
We had one of our Bengal girls have open pyo, and thanks to the help of Jackie at Purebliss, we were able to treat it. It was treated using Alizin (as mentioned above by Per) and Zithromax (in suspension form).

The next time we put the girl in with a stud (at her next call), we gave her half a zithromax tablet (which equates to 125mg) whilst in with the stud and one half a tablet weekly, during pregnancy.

We have had 2 litters since from this Queen, the latest litter born during the (very) early hours of yesterday morning.

Jo

Per Lausund

Staff member
We had one of our Bengal girls have open pyo, and thanks to the help of Jackie at Purebliss, we were able to treat it. It was treated using Alizin (as mentioned above by Per) and Zithromax (in suspension form).

The next time we put the girl in with a stud (at her next call), we gave her half a zithromax tablet (which equates to 125mg) whilst in with the stud and one half a tablet weekly, during pregnancy.

We have had 2 litters since from this Queen, the latest litter born during the (very) early hours of yesterday morning.

Jo
Good to hear a success story.
In my opinion, pyo would very rarely be a reason for spaying. Using Alizin and an antibiotic seems to work very well, and with open pyo (usual in felines) I would judge the risk as lower than surgery. Not seen a properly treated pyo go closed on a cat yet, except when you have foetal death mid-way in pregnancy, which is a much more serious condition. It may be worth trying Alizin in that case too, but there may be a certain urgency involved that canĀ“t wait for the anti-progestin to work.
Cheers
Per