Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Quarantining

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
It will come with time. That is another bonding result. When you do, don't hold him tight. Give him enough space to know he can get away if he feels trapped.

scorpius

Chirps & Massive Headbutts
Hey Scorpius, unfortunately, I 15 hours a day is impossible lol... work, family etc.. etc... we're probably averaging about 3-4 hours a day total (including day and night).

Understood - and truthfully, the 15 hrs/day I was doing for those days about drove me crazy :) It sounds like you're doing everything well. Go with your gut instinct and do what you think is right via daily observation. I think every cat situation is different. But honestly, and everyone here can choose to disagree with me, I'm not sure the long quarantines are always necessary. In short, there is more than one way to do things, and I've read far too many BKM advices on the Internet that only proclaim one way to do things (only to be dispelled by other examples). It's the same with my career: engineering quickly gets killed by tunnel vision syndrome. cheers. -dj

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Scorpius, I agree that a 2 week quarantine isn't always necessary as far as bonding and introduction to other cats. But, remember that the other and more important reason for quarantine is to ensure the kitten isn't cooking an illness that could spread to other pets.

I had a recent experience when Atticus came home. He seemed perfectly fine. He didn't poop for 6 days so we didn't get an early fecal on him. At the very end of quarantine, his breeder notified me that another cat in his litter was diagnosed with giardia. Sure enough, when I took in a sample for testing it was positive. Yet, he showed no symptoms and his poops were normal, no diarrhea, or gas. Had I let him out early, I would have had to treat 4 cats instead of 1. Thankfully giardia is not normally a fatal infection but I couldn't help thinking about what would have happened if he had had something more serious.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I brought in a kitten years ago that also appeared perfectly healthy. I was strapped for space so shortened the quarantine by two days. She started sneezing as soon as I let her out. Long story short, I have four cats in lifelong quarantine for exposure to herpes (was eight when this occurred but over the years some have passed over the Rainbow Bridge).