Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Question re: introducing kitten to resident cat

karenlynn79

Site Supporter
We have our boy Zyon now (for a week!) and he's doing great in his quarantine. I was just reading Witchy Woman's helpful handout on introducing a new cat to a resident cat. One of the last steps was to take the resident cat into the quarantined room in a crate then let her out so they could finally interact freely. Sadly that's completely impossible for us- our 10 yo DSH cat will never in a million years get into a crate. If we have to take her somewhere or when we've moved it's insane trying to get her into a box or anything else. She's an outdoor cat mainly though she stays in a lot more now and we just didn't crate her when she was little- so this would be highly traumatizing for her and I feel spoil the point of introducing the two by freaking her out. What is my alternative here? I don't want either of them to get upset with the other so I'm trying to do what is suggested by you guys. ? any ideas? never had to introduce 2 cats before so I'm trying to do it "right" to avoid problems!!
Thanks,
Karen

Patti

Admin
Staff member
There are a couple of things you can do - you can put Zyon in the crate and let your DSH in the room, or you can install a screen door (or a series of safety gates across the entire doorway) on the quarantine room so that they can 'meet' face to face while still staying safe.

Trish Allearz

We have our boy Zyon now (for a week!) and he's doing great in his quarantine. I was just reading Witchy Woman's helpful handout on introducing a new cat to a resident cat. One of the last steps was to take the resident cat into the quarantined room in a crate then let her out so they could finally interact freely. Sadly that's completely impossible for us- our 10 yo DSH cat will never in a million years get into a crate. If we have to take her somewhere or when we've moved it's insane trying to get her into a box or anything else. She's an outdoor cat mainly though she stays in a lot more now and we just didn't crate her when she was little- so this would be highly traumatizing for her and I feel spoil the point of introducing the two by freaking her out. What is my alternative here? I don't want either of them to get upset with the other so I'm trying to do what is suggested by you guys. ? any ideas? never had to introduce 2 cats before so I'm trying to do it "right" to avoid problems!!
Thanks,
Karen

Karen-- we've never did the crate introduction or a screen door intro-- but Patti's suggestion is solid. Zyon would be fine going into a crate and letting your old girl approach him or even ignore him. That's up to her.

karenlynn79

Site Supporter
Ok thanks for the suggestions. So far Zyon has seen her out of the bedroom window and did hiss a bit but otherwise seems just curious. We might try the baby gates on the door later on this week to see what they do. I feel like Zyon will probably hiss and be a stinker but Smokey is so laid back I doubt she'll even respond!

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
You might be surprised. They always seem to do just what you think they won't...AND not just Savannah cats. ;)

Trish Allearz

Ok thanks for the suggestions. So far Zyon has seen her out of the bedroom window and did hiss a bit but otherwise seems just curious. We might try the baby gates on the door later on this week to see what they do. I feel like Zyon will probably hiss and be a stinker but Smokey is so laid back I doubt she'll even respond!
Hissing and long legs, arched back and silly stances are pretty much par for the norm for introductions with kittens. I won't be surprised though if he decides he really wants to hang out with her and he knocks it off pretty quickly. Forest is already best buds with Monkey (his F2 half-sister.)

Patti

Admin
Staff member
If Smokey is laid back that makes it easier - I'm sure after a little posturing and pouting Zyon will fall in love with her!

karenlynn79

Site Supporter
Yes I think they'll end up being buddies too. I am a bit nervous for their first face to face encounter, and I think we'll have to do it without our kids as I think my 6 y.o. will start crying if they hiss at each other!