Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Rafiki

Rafiki

Site Supporter
I had to make a trip to take care of my Mom and I was away for 8 days, returning on Sunday. When I got home, I immediately noticed that Rafiki was very twitchy and was compulsively licking. She is always very lick-y but when she is stressed out, it is almost non-stop. My husband showed me Rafiki's armpit (first picture). It appears that she licked the fur off and the skin was quite raw. Her compulsive licking behavior has calmed down and I have only seen her lick the spot twice in the last few days. I have been checking on it twice a day and it is much less pink now and appears to be healing nicely (second picture).

Rafiki armpit last saturday.JPG rafiki armpit now.JPG

She also did this when we were away at Christmas. Since my husband stayed home this time, and took time off of work to actually be home, I did not anticipate that this level of change (just me being away) would aggravate her. I tried using Animax ointment on her last time but that just got her to lick even more. I eventually used a green tea bag to soothe it and it started healing on its own.

She will go back to the vet in March for her annual physical, blood draw for liver values and a rabies booster (required by LA County because we live outside the city). Knowing how going to the vet stresses her out, I opted not to bring her there for this and kept a close eye on it instead.

I am not sure what to do in the future. My house is 3 levels because it is built into a hillside and I cannot imagine how many feliway diffusers would be required! Oh the less than joyful part of living with a bonded cat!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Wow, that really is a high level of separation anxiety :-( Maybe something like valium for periods that you will be away from home? I'm not too convinced that something as simple as a Feliway diffuser will solve this issue when she obviously gets so very upset.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Poor Rafiki :-(
I agree with Brigitte, I would not invest in the amount of Feliway it would take to cover your home adequately with something that may or may not work, much more economical to use something like alprazolam once or twice a day as needed for those times that you will be away.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
I am not sure that we could give Rafiki alprazolam due to her liver issues. My husband is not able to pill her so it would have to be something that could be added to the food. Our pet-sitter is able to pill Rafiki so if we are both away I will probably try something. I did get some Nutricalm from a vet but never tried it. Does anyone have experience with Nutricalm?

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Well she has been rather spoiled as my last 2 contracts have been work-from-home. It sure would be nice if the next one is as well. But I do have to attend to family matters every now and then...

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Sigh. Rafiki just decided that I do not need that leaded glass napkin holder that I have had for over 30 years. She also decided to rearrange the décor in the upstairs bedroom. Her Daddy returns tonight after being away all week so hopefully she will calm down a bit.

When I am away, she compulsively licks until she has bald pink skin either in her armpit or on her belly. She also shreds paper. When Steve is away, she demands more attention and breaks things. I guess I prefer the broken items to a partially bald cat.