Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

randomly acting out?

My 2 year old F3 Savannah boy has always been the center of mine, and husbands heart. But recently, about 2 weeks after moving into our new home which he is well adjusted to, he has been acting more ferral than usual. He has tried to attack us, which he has only done twice in his 2 yr old life. He constantly paces and meows at us, and has begun running from us as well as being mean and going for us multiple times. We walk him when we can, with his little coat on, (Washington, rains quite often and is very cold this time of year) and play fetch constantly. Any one have any idea why he is being so ferral and mean? He seems anxious and ancey all the time and is beginning to act out. Scratching our leather couch, peeing on our clothes, (he is litter trained) and constantly meowing and yelling at us. What can I do to get my loving, sweet boy back?!?!? Please help!!?

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
I hate to say it, but it sounds like he is not happy about the new home. Maybe some of the more knowledgeable ones here can advise you as to what to do to help him adjust.

I hate to say it, but it sounds like he is not happy about the new home. Maybe some of the more knowledgeable ones here can advise you as to what to do to help him adjust.

I thought that as well, but we have been traveling a lot (military husband) and instead of hotel rooms, the car, and his kennel, he has a whole house, his own queen size bed in the guest room and all the space to wander around with open windows galore. I couldn't imagine why he wouldn't like it vs the traveling. :( its a tricky and odd behavior for sure. I hope someone can help me out with it :(

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
ALL cats dislike change of any kind. Even if the change is for the better. It just takes time for them to accept it.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
I think he is showing his confusion and upset at the move, understandably. Cats of any breed are creatures of routine and comfort, and the many moves and now a new home have thrown his world off....

I would suggest a quarantine time, as if he had just arrived to you. Put him in his own room (or your bedroom) with food, litter box, favorite blanket, bed, toys and a cat tree for at least two weeks. Spend as much time as possible with him, then gradually let him explore the new home as if he was a new kitten.

I assume he is neutered? Could there be a cat or other animal outside the windows he can see or smell? That may be the cause for his unwanted behavior. You might try a bird feeder outside his window for Cat TV. Spend extra time with him; get him some new toys.

Remember this is all very new to him, and you. This will take some time for him to become accustomed to the new home, but with a bit of effort on your part, it can be done!

Please keep us posted!

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I thought that as well, but we have been traveling a lot (military husband) and instead of hotel rooms, the car, and his kennel, he has a whole house, his own queen size bed in the guest room and all the space

I think you've identified one of the issues -- he's used to a smaller space. When you moved into the house, did you confine him in a room with toys, litter, and other things he likes for a couple weeks? That would have given him time to get used to the smells and sounds of the new house and a new routine.

Another change for him is being in one space rather than traveling to new spaces. And, there could be residual smells from former pets in the home or cats outside that are upsetting him.

You might want to try confining him to a room with all his favorite things for awhile. Let him out a few hours at a time, give him lots and lots of love and play, but keep him essentially confined for 2 weeks. It's similar to a quarantine that you would do when bringing an animal home for the first time.

Keep 2 litter boxes in his room and sprinkle a light layer of Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter on top of the regular litter.

If the behavior escalates even when he's confined, maybe a check up at the vet is in order to ensure no bladder infection or other stress-induced illness.

Last but not least, if you feel you can't confine him and he is in good health, scheduling a phone consult with Marilyn Krieger, the cat coach, would be something I would consider http://thecatcoach.com

Rafiki

Site Supporter
It does sound like there is something about the house that is setting him off. Are there any animals outside that could be setting off a need or desire to protect territory?

NikkiA

Site Supporter
My boy Diablo does not do well when we leave. If we want to go away, we have to have one specific cat sitter, Ethan, who he has known since he was a small kitten and is bonded to. No me, no mike, and no Ethan as cat sitter and things don't go well. He might prefer you and hotel rooms to being left, and he may not understand why he is being left.

It is not exactly the same, but given the option, D goes to work with me on Saturdays rather than being left, even though he hates riding in the car.

Alternatively he could just be disturbed by the new home and changes to his routine.

Hang in there. It sounds like a stressful time for all of you.

Can't offer any help as I haven't experienced this but wanted to send good vibes your way. It would be tough seeing a little love bug change like that. I hope if it's environmental that he'll settle in and be back to himself. Was he ever different while traveling?
Can't offer any help as I haven't experienced this but wanted to send good vibes your way. It would be tough seeing a little love bug change like that. I hope if it's environmental that he'll settle in and be back to himself. Was he ever different while traveling?

Thank you, I appreciate that!!! Its very toug . He was such a sweet little boy. It's been a month in the new house, and it was only 2 weeks ago the behavior started. When we traveled, due to his high crazy anxiety, the vet prescribed him some meds to help travel. He did really well on them, and was fine once not taking them anymore. But even when not on the meds, he didn't act this way. Its heartbreaking. I have to put him in his large kennel during the day sometimes because he gets too wild.

My boy Diablo does not do well when we leave. If we want to go away, we have to have one specific cat sitter, Ethan, who he has known since he was a small kitten and is bonded to. No me, no mike, and no Ethan as cat sitter and things don't go well. He might prefer you and hotel rooms to being left, and he may not understand why he is being left.

It is not exactly the same, but given the option, D goes to work with me on Saturdays rather than being left, even though he hates riding in the car.

Alternatively he could just be disturbed by the new home and changes to his routine.

Hang in there. It sounds like a stressful time for all of you.

My husband is in the military, and is gone monday-friday and when he's on missions. But I'm always home with him, he is rarely alone. When I go check the mail, I take him with me so he can get out too. I would definitely understand that. When I used to go on conferences for school, he used to get so mad, he would poop in my hamper!!! He's so spiteful!!