Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Raw diet and teeth

Angie Panczak

Savannah Super Cat
Hi,
I have been wondering about feeding chicken necks to clean teeth. I give my dogs neck and backs daily to keep teeth clean, what can I give the cats to help keep their teeth clean? Definately don't want to start brushing.
Angie

Ashley

Savannah Super Cat
Interested in what the answer will be. I'm very pro oral health, I've seen some disgusting teeth while doing clinicals in HS at a vet clinic. But brushing Kovu's teeth is next to impossible!

Angie Panczak

Savannah Super Cat
I agree even at 1-2 years old, there is plaque build up. Oral health is so important, and in Canada it is minimum $500 just for a cleaning, I would really like to do a preventative maintenance. Also, the girls barely let me clip their nails let alone start brushing their teeth. I did give my stud a small chicken neck and he seemed ok with it, so I am hoping its as easy as that. The raw ground just doesn't clean teeth.

Ashley

Savannah Super Cat
I agree even at 1-2 years old, there is plaque build up. Oral health is so important, and in Canada it is minimum $500 just for a cleaning, I would really like to do a preventative maintenance. Also, the girls barely let me clip their nails let alone start brushing their teeth. I did give my stud a small chicken neck and he seemed ok with it, so I am hoping its as easy as that. The raw ground just doesn't clean teeth.
Yeah, its expensive, but after I saw an elderly dog who never had a cleaning come in with a hole from the roof of his mouth into his nasal cavity because of it, I promised that I'd NEVER let my animal have poor oral health. It was so sad, we had to put her to sleep because it was just beyond the point of no return. And Kovu is the same way with clipping. It was easier to brush/clip when he was a kitten, but now that he is 17lbs its kind of hard. lol

Samber

Savannah Super Cat
So i make my own raw (ground) and i have to go to the Asian super market to get chicken liver and hearts for the ground mix. when i'm there i grab some whole quail, its about 8-9 dollars per pack and comes with 6. i grab 2 packs every time i'm there and i feed that to the cats.

the raw bone in the quail help clean their teeth. also they LOVE quail. they go kind of crazy for it. i also crate feed them when they get whole prey. i do this cause if not they will drag it across the floor into a corner and eat it there where they feel safe. so when i grab the crates they know its time for quail and will go nuts with meowing and walking in and out of the crate til i bring the quail.

i would say any type of whole prey should help with teeth cleaning.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member

Most definitely. Keeps teeth & gums healthy. There may still be tartar buildup but it won't be as bad as a dry food diet. Should still have dental exam along with annual checkup.

Medesha

Savannah Super Cat
You can feed tough bits of meat like chicken and turkey gizzards for better dental health. That's what I do.

admin

Paige
Staff member
So i make my own raw (ground) and i have to go to the Asian super market to get chicken liver and hearts for the ground mix. when i'm there i grab some whole quail, its about 8-9 dollars per pack and comes with 6. i grab 2 packs every time i'm there and i feed that to the cats.

the raw bone in the quail help clean their teeth. also they LOVE quail. they go kind of crazy for it. i also crate feed them when they get whole prey. i do this cause if not they will drag it across the floor into a corner and eat it there where they feel safe. so when i grab the crates they know its time for quail and will go nuts with meowing and walking in and out of the crate til i bring the quail.

Zuri dies for quail...but I had to stop giving her the whole prey while she was pregnant and nursing because she would just eat the day old quail, which had hardly any nutritional value. She will not eat the larger quail, so now she gets ground quail with bone from Blue Ridge Beef.

The kittens are eating Kitten Mix from Blue Ridge Beef, which has bone in it and they love it...

Angie Panczak

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks everyone, not too sure I can get quail, but will start feeding chicken necks. We raise our own chickens, so maybe I could start raising the quail for the cats.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Thanks everyone, not too sure I can get quail, but will start feeding chicken necks. We raise our own chickens, so maybe I could start raising the quail for the cats.

That would be awesome, Angie! I think chicken necks should do it though!