Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Raw Ground Pork?

John Popp

Site Supporter
Just a note that most residential refrigerators won't drop freezer temperatures much below 0 degrees Fahrenheit. Stand alone freezers will do better or commercial products. Also when dropping to these lower temperatures you start reducing the efficacy of some vitamins and taurine. So definitely a balancing act and I generally keep a 30 day or less supply of raw around, keep it in the lowest portion of my freezer on the coldest setting.

Also, it's a good idea to keep your freezer as full as possible so you don't lose much temperature when you open and close the door. Limiting air space but not airflow will keep things colder and help your freezer run more efficiently.

Angie Panczak

Savannah Super Cat
I usually unthaw and then add the vitamins and supps to the thawed. Unthaw 3 days at a time. How would freezing affect what the meat already has or are you taking about adding supplements and freezing? I hear that frozen veggies are as nutritional as fresh, per say, so I was never too concerned about that. Also my home upright freezer has a thermometer and reads -16 right now, I use a chest freezer for my raw at -20, can you clarify what freezers are only 0?

Angie Panczak

Savannah Super Cat
Just a note that most residential refrigerators won't drop freezer temperatures much below 0 degrees Fahrenheit. Stand alone freezers will do better or commercial products. Also when dropping to these lower temperatures you start reducing the efficacy of some vitamins and taurine. So definitely a balancing act and I generally keep a 30 day or less supply of raw around, keep it in the lowest portion of my freezer on the coldest setting.

Also, it's a good idea to keep your freezer as full as possible so you don't lose much temperature when you open and close the door. Limiting air space but not airflow will keep things colder and help your freezer run more efficiently.
Haha, never mind! I'm
Canadian and was thinking in celcius not F!

John Popp

Site Supporter
Most up and down or side by side refrigerators only use a single condenser and the temperature difference between the refrigerator and the freezer is controlled by fans and venting. If the freezer portion is too cold on many refrigerators it won't allow enough temperature difference to keep refrigerated items from freezing. Much will depend on the model refrigerator and subsequently the price tag attached.

Freezing food definitely reduces the potency of vitamins and not all are the same. Vitamin C has a big drop in potency when freezing and Taurine drops in efficacy by about 5% per month when frozen. From the big industry food producers capable of flash freezing meats, fruits and vegetables, the effect is much lower, but not the same type of equipment that we have in our homes to accomplish these tasks.