Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Raw & Kibble?

Kinna

Savannah Super Cat
The downside to having super smart cats, they know, and they make us pay!
What about just cooking her some meat? We started our transition to raw with half-cooked chicken thighs (no bones!), and rare beef just to see if they'd eat it.
Yeah... I love how smart she is, she shows it mostly with a clear understanding of items, places and actions, but in this case it's a bit worrisome. :(

I actually have some ground meat in the freezer (mix of beef, pork and lamb), I was thinking of breaking off a piece for her to try once it's thawed. I regret throwing out the raw I bought now, but it was too late when I changed my mind. I would buy her the raw frozen Primal package, but then what do I do with all this freeze dried stuff? D: At least it keeps so maybe she'll want it later.

Yeah... I love how smart she is, she shows it mostly with a clear understanding of items, places and actions, but in this case it's a bit worrisome. :(

I actually have some ground meat in the freezer (mix of beef, pork and lamb), I was thinking of breaking off a piece for her to try once it's thawed. I regret throwing out the raw I bought now, but it was too late when I changed my mind. I would buy her the raw frozen Primal package, but then what do I do with all this freeze dried stuff? D: At least it keeps so maybe she'll want it later.
Worth a shot, I'd cook it some tho, pre-ground meat has more bacteria.

John Popp

Site Supporter
Yes, pre-ground meat has lots of surface area to pick up bacteria.

If you are going to start messing around with some slab meats, I would recommend getting some Masuri for slab meats. It's not perfect, but that and a fish oil capsule is a pretty easy way to test foods, making a days supply. One of my boys loves Masuri we used to sprinkle it over his food to get him kick-started.

Kinna

Savannah Super Cat
Worth a shot, I'd cook it some tho, pre-ground meat has more bacteria.
Yes, pre-ground meat has lots of surface area to pick up bacteria.

If you are going to start messing around with some slab meats, I would recommend getting some Masuri for slab meats. It's not perfect, but that and a fish oil capsule is a pretty easy way to test foods, making a days supply. One of my boys loves Masuri we used to sprinkle it over his food to get him kick-started.
I gave her a small chunk half cooked of the meat mix yesterday. She sniffed it and walked away.
What's Masuri?
I've mixed about 1/3 of a freeze dried nugget (Primal turkey formula) into her usual Nutro wet food breakfast. She refused it again. I know she's not sick because we went to my parent's yesterday and she kept screaming for her fish. She ended up eating a full fillet and finishing half of Lugh's too lol. She's clearly hungry but she's being really picky, even with her usual food. :(

Kinna

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks! Chances are I won't be doing that, I just wanted to see if she would even take to raw quickly or if she would be picky. I can get the Primal raw frozen food too, but I would prefer to manage to get her to eat the freeze dried I already have. That one is a complete formula with all the organs, bones, and supplements like taurine.

https://primalpetfoods.com/collections/feline-raw-freeze-dried-formulas

I played with her a bit and she ate a few bites, and now she's sleeping again. Im really starting to get worried. :( So far she's not fooled with a trick like sprinkling treats over the food. She simply eats the treats and leaves the rest.

Edit:

I got the fish treats and sprinkled them over the Primal. She started licking happily until she hit the Primal and then ran away and proceeded to screaming at me again. I just mixed in her usual food and sprinkled more treats on them. She stayed a foot away, sniffed, yelled and walked away again. This isn't going well at all. D:

Last edited: