Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Red flags or not - Vet

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Sounds like two very different styles maybe forged from a combination of differing education, experience, and philosophies. I prefer a thorough vet who takes time with my cats and understands the psyche of the animal she is treating. And none of the vet techs handle my cats for exams and simple procedures like blood draws, I do. They are more comfortable with me holding them and are less reactive.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
I was there for all the blood draws from my old vet. The only procedure I did not witness was the microchip implant - that needle was scary and I did not want to transfer my feelings to the cats.

Does your vet do the blood draw from the neck or leg?

Rafiki

Site Supporter
How quickly would you get another blood draw?

I will get the results back from the second test on Tuesday. He wants to do another blood draw next week. I am thinking that if she is back to eating normal amounts of food, I want to wait a bit to allow her liver to settle back down before doing another blood draw. Do you think that waiting a week is a good idea or bad?

Note: if last night and today was a fluke and she does not return to normal consumption, I will get her to another vet immediately.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Guys please do not type in yellow...this on tapatalk can't read it. Thanks

Paige
Owner, Savannah Cat Chat
Agato Savannahs
TICA Legislative Committee
SV Breed Section Committee
SV Rescue Coordinator

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Guys please do not type in yellow...this on tapatalk can't read it. Thanks

Paige
Owner, Savannah Cat Chat
Agato Savannahs
TICA Legislative Committee
SV Breed Section Committee
SV Rescue Coordinator
Oh. sorry. did not know.
Do you think that waiting a week for another blood draw is a good idea or bad?

Eddies

Eddies a ham!
You answered your own question & in my case #4 would NEVER HAVE BEEN ALLOWED with Eddie/Eiswein/Mojo d/t the trauma; #6 would have had me keeping them out of my house...it's a PRIVILEGE to own & serve these cats, any one coming in contact with them should at least be empathetic for their problems at a minimal not classing them as "wild animals"....

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I agree with Trish that Vet #1 sounds like she went way beyond what would be expected or required, and many things Vet #2 did I had no problem with... however, I get no warm fuzzy feelings from him - there was no sense that he cared about your cats, or animals in general; and his attitude toward Savannahs in general was the last straw - ditch the dude and find a compassionate vet who will care about, as well as for your cats. I'm not sure what your issue is with taking the kitties to the vet, but if this is your alternative, a visit to the vet's office would be far better IMHO...